CSUF baseball drops series against UC Santa Barbara to begin Big West play

In Baseball, Sports
Tyler Lasch rounds third for home

After CSUF baseball recorded its fifth no-hitter in program history in its first game against UC Santa Barbara, the Titans failed to secure the series on the road after losing the final game 2-1 on Saturday.

Titans Head Coach Rick Vanderhook attributed their loss to a lack of offensive power.

“We weren’t aggressive at the plate. We didn’t make their pitchers battle like ours did,” Vanderhook said.

The game went scoreless until the sixth inning when Santa Barbara took a 2-0 lead.

The Titans rallied to find their way onto the board in the top of the eighth inning when third baseman Brett Borgogno grounded out to third, bringing in first baseman Jake Pavletich.

Andrew Quezada earned the start and faced 31 batters in his eight innings pitched. The junior allowed 4 hits and 2 runs.

“I thought Quezada was excellent. He battled out there, but we just didn’t have enough on the offensive side of the ball,” Vanderhook said.

Fullerton’s attempts came too late in the game, leading Santa Barbara to claim a series win. Following the series, the Titans now hold a 1-2 record in the Big West conference.

The Titans will face Arizona State University in their next two games on the road. CSUF begins its showdown against the Sun Devils on Tuesday, April 3 at 6:30 p.m.

CSUF baseball faced the TCU Horned Frogs to kick off the MLB4 Tournament in Scottsdale, Arizona

CSUF baseball topples TCU in MLB4 tournament opener

In MLB’s inaugural game of the MLB4 Tournament, Cal State Fullerton baseball kept Texas Christian University at bay behind