CSUF baseball looks to extend five-game winning streak against Pepperdine

In Baseball, Sports
Titans baseball players sliding into home base.
(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan File Photo)

CSUF baseball will face off against Pepperdine at Goodwin Field on Tuesday at 6 p.m.

The Waves (14-16) will face Fullerton after losing to the University of Pacific on Sunday. The Titans are in the midst of a five-game winning streak after sweeping Big West conference opponent Cal Poly over the weekend.

CSUF has been more consistent since the end of February. The team has gone 14-8 since March 2 after its prior record of 1-7.

Pepperdine will look for its chance to win on the road. Waves pitcher and outfielder Jordan Qsar leads the team with 33 RBIs and five home runs.

The Titans can utilize right fielder Ruben Cardenas’ base-stealing ability against the Waves as he currently leads the team with five stolen bases, and is tied for sixth in the conference for steals.

Fullerton’s 16 total stolen bases puts the team at fifth in the Big West.

Pitching will be key for CSUF on Tuesday as Pepperdine currently ranks last in the West Coast Conference in batting average.

In its last five-game stretch, Fullerton has given up an average of three runs per game.  CSUF’s strong pitching staff and defense will place the Waves in an uphill battle as the Titans average five runs per contest during this streak.

Against Cal Poly, designated hitter Jace Chamberlin set an example for the Titans at the plate after he recorded four hits and one RBI in seven at-bats. Shortstop Sahid Valenzuela also recorded four hits and scored two runs against the Mustangs.

This game marks the first chance the Titans have to achieve a winning record since their opening game against Stanford.