CSUF baseball loses 12-4 to UCLA, Bruins sweep season series

In Baseball, Sports, Top Stories
Jace Chamberlin sliding into third base
(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

CSUF baseball gave up multiple runs in four innings on the way to a 12-4 loss on the road against No. 9 UCLA. The loss put the Titans under .500 with a record of 19-20.

Fullerton used six pitchers in the loss. They combined to surrender 18 hits and struggled to put away the Bruins, allowing five two-out hits in the game.

Second baseman Hank LaForte’s sacrifice fly put CSUF on the board in the fifth inning, which was followed by center fielder Mitchell Berryhill’s RBI single to cut the Bruins lead to one.

The Bruins added four more runs in the bottom of the fifth, elongating their lead to 7-2 and putting the game out of Fullerton’s reach.

After a disastrous fifth inning, the Titans added two more runs in the contest. Shortstop Sahid Valenzuela’s groundout in the sixth inning brought left fielder Chris Prescott home.

Prescott again crossed home plate following first baseman Jake Pavletich’s single to left field in the eighth inning.

Fullerton’s bats went cold despite advancing the leadoff batter to first in four innings. The Titans only logged three hits with runners on base in the contest.

Bruins second baseman Chase Strumpf had a strong game, going 3-5 with three doubles, an RBI and two runs scored.

Titans pitcher Tanner Bibee struggled early on, giving up three runs on seven hits in three innings. Timothy Josten came in to relieve Bibee in the third.

Josten went on to give up two hits and two earned runs in his 2.1 innings pitched.

Bruins pitcher Jack Ralston struggled with his command too, throwing only 41 strikes in his 81 pitches. However, he managed to shut out the Titans offense for four innings.

This is the second time this season UCLA has scored 12 runs against Fullerton.

CSUF will hit the road again this weekend for a Big West conference series against UC Irvine.