CSUF baseball scores six runs in the third inning to deliver series sweep over Cal Poly

In Baseball, Sports
Andrew Quezada pitching
(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan)

CSUF baseball recorded all six of its runs in the third inning, defeating Cal Poly 6-3 in its first conference sweep on Sunday.

The win gave the Titans their fifth consecutive victory and second series sweep of the season, bringing their record to .500 for the first time this season.

“5-0 week. That was a good deal. It’s not easy to win five games in a week,” said Titans Head Coach Rick Vanderhook.

Fullerton gained its lead in the bottom of the third inning, scoring six runs off five hits and sending 11 batters to the plate.

With bases loaded, second baseman Hank LoForte got momentum going with an RBI single up the middle, bringing in outfielder Jairus Richards.

Designated hitter Jace Chamberlin kept the runs coming in with another RBI single up the middle, sending third baseman Brett Borgogno home.

“I try to come up to every at-bat with an approach and the approach is usually very similar to the game. I try to get a pass on the ball and see what happens from there,” Chamberlin said.

Catcher Daniel Cope extended CSUF’s lead to 4-0 after a two-RBI single brought in LoForte and right fielder Ruben Cardenas.

Before heading into the fourth inning, the Titans stretched their lead 6-0 with a two-RBI single to right field from Richards, bringing Cope and Chamberlin home.

In the top of the seventh, Cal Poly found its way onto the scoreboard and snapped CSUF’s shutout lead after a two-run home run from first baseman Tate Samuelson.

After seven innings, Quezada stepped off the mound for sophomore Dillon Brown. Quezada allowed seven hits and three runs in his time and recorded a new career-high nine strikeouts.

“I was just taking it one pitch, one inning, one bat at a time,” Quezada said. “I’m just trying to carry it on to the next game hopefully. Obviously strikeouts are nice but outs are outs and defense definitely played a big role today.”

Again in the top of the eighth inning, Fullerton allowed a home run from center fielder Alex McKenna to cut its lead in half.

CSUF’s closer Brett Conine came in to relieve Brown in the top of the ninth and delivered a win for the Titans.

“We’re 15-15. We were 1-7 and now we’re 15-15. That was a long climb to catch up and get even. We’ve got to where we want to be. Now we just got to keep playing the game,” Vanderhook said.

The Titans will host Pepperdine on Tuesday, April 10 to try and extend their winning streak and contend for the top spot in the Big West.

The Pasillas family, father and sons, pose in front of their workspace for the Rialto Printing Company.

Voices from Home: The Pasillas family represents their city with the Rialto Print Company

Few people are aware of how much thought and time is put into a T-shirt design, but what began

An electric vehicle charging station at CSUF.

CSUF to add more electric vehicle charging spots on campus

As part of a statewide goal, Cal State Fullerton plans on adding more electric vehicle parking stations in an

The crowd looks forward to the Levitt Pavilion anticipating an Anderson .Paak performance.

Anderson .Paak holds charity concert for Brandon Anderson Foundation

“Yes lawd!” yelled hundreds of people in the crowd as Anderson .Paak took the stage on Saturday at MacArthur