CSUF baseball scores six runs in the third inning to deliver series sweep over Cal Poly

In Baseball, Sports
Andrew Quezada pitching
(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan)

CSUF baseball recorded all six of its runs in the third inning, defeating Cal Poly 6-3 in its first conference sweep on Sunday.

The win gave the Titans their fifth consecutive victory and second series sweep of the season, bringing their record to .500 for the first time this season.

“5-0 week. That was a good deal. It’s not easy to win five games in a week,” said Titans Head Coach Rick Vanderhook.

Fullerton gained its lead in the bottom of the third inning, scoring six runs off five hits and sending 11 batters to the plate.

With bases loaded, second baseman Hank LoForte got momentum going with an RBI single up the middle, bringing in outfielder Jairus Richards.

Designated hitter Jace Chamberlin kept the runs coming in with another RBI single up the middle, sending third baseman Brett Borgogno home.

“I try to come up to every at-bat with an approach and the approach is usually very similar to the game. I try to get a pass on the ball and see what happens from there,” Chamberlin said.

Catcher Daniel Cope extended CSUF’s lead to 4-0 after a two-RBI single brought in LoForte and right fielder Ruben Cardenas.

Before heading into the fourth inning, the Titans stretched their lead 6-0 with a two-RBI single to right field from Richards, bringing Cope and Chamberlin home.

In the top of the seventh, Cal Poly found its way onto the scoreboard and snapped CSUF’s shutout lead after a two-run home run from first baseman Tate Samuelson.

After seven innings, Quezada stepped off the mound for sophomore Dillon Brown. Quezada allowed seven hits and three runs in his time and recorded a new career-high nine strikeouts.

“I was just taking it one pitch, one inning, one bat at a time,” Quezada said. “I’m just trying to carry it on to the next game hopefully. Obviously strikeouts are nice but outs are outs and defense definitely played a big role today.”

Again in the top of the eighth inning, Fullerton allowed a home run from center fielder Alex McKenna to cut its lead in half.

CSUF’s closer Brett Conine came in to relieve Brown in the top of the ninth and delivered a win for the Titans.

“We’re 15-15. We were 1-7 and now we’re 15-15. That was a long climb to catch up and get even. We’ve got to where we want to be. Now we just got to keep playing the game,” Vanderhook said.

The Titans will host Pepperdine on Tuesday, April 10 to try and extend their winning streak and contend for the top spot in the Big West.

Fullerton residents at a city council meeting

Fullerton residents voice concerns over CSUF fraternity house

Residents voiced their concerns to the Fullerton city council on Tuesday about living near a CSUF fraternity house. Many

Samantha Huerta exercises on a bench her feet on the ground and elbows on the bench with CSUF cross country.

Samantha Huerta represents CSUF cross country, named player of the week

Samantha Huerta, a cross-country runner in her third year at Cal State Fullerton, was named women’s cross-country athlete of

Photo Illustration showing a housing development.

Proposition 1 could authorize bonds to fund housing

Proposition 1, known as the Housing Programs and Veterans’ Loan Bond, would authorize bonds to fund housing assistance programs,