University of San Diego hands CSUF baseball 10-4 loss on the road

In Baseball, Sports, Top Stories
Andrew Quezada pitching

CSUF baseball gave away a four-run lead, falling 10-4 against the University of San Diego at Fowler Park and Cunningham Field on Tuesday.

After winning seven of its last nine contests, Fullerton dropped the ball in a game that could have brought its record above .500. Instead, the Titans are now 17-18.

“Didn’t get all of the breaks, but that’s baseball and we’re going to move on to the next one. We all will continue to get better,” third baseman Brett Borgogno told CSUF Sports Media.

It wasn’t until halfway through in the fourth inning, after the Titans scored their final run, when the game started to go downhill. San Diego scored 10 unanswered runs, including six runs during the fourth inning.

CSUF had no answer for the Toreros pitching, as Nate Kuchta and Anthony Donatella held the Titans scoreless for the final five innings.

The umpires tossed Titans Head Coach Rick Vanderhook out for questioning a couple calls during the fifth inning. This is the second time in three games he has been ejected.

The Titans scored all of their runs in the first four innings. Shortstop Sahid Valenzuela, designated hitter Jace Chamberlin and second baseman Hank LoForte each registered an RBI.

Borgogno secured his fifth double of the season in the third inning. Shortly after, Nick Ciandro recorded his first ever collegiate hit, paving the way to bring Borgogno home.

“I was seeing the ball really well tonight, but we missed some opportunities overall,” Borgogno said.

Toreros right fielder Tora Otsuka and catcher Adam Kerner recorded two individual RBIs and put CSUF into a hole they couldn’t climb out of. Neither team hit a home run, but the Toreros managed to bring their runners home more frequently despite only logging one more hit than the Titans.

The Titans will head into the weekend with a three-game home series against Hawaii starting Friday.