CSUF crime: University police prevent attempted suicide, log hit and run and bike theft

Crime map as detailed in story
(Tracy Hoang / Daily Titan)

CSUF University Police Capt. John Brockie said officers responded to a call on April 13 about a person sitting on the edge of the ledge of the Eastside Parking Structure.

Brockie said the responding officers contacted the individual and determined that the person was a danger to themselves.

The individual cooperated with officers, Brockie said, and was taken into custody for a psychological evaluation.

University Police is authorized by state law to confine a person suspected of having a mental disorder that makes them a danger to themselves, a danger to others or is gravely disabled.

The person can be taken into custody for a period of up to 72 hours for assessment, evaluation and crisis intervention, or placement for evaluation and treatment in a facility designated by the county for evaluation and treatment approved by the State Department of Health Care Services.

Hit-and-Run

A student was struck by a car in the Nutwood Parking Structure on April 11.

Brockie said the driver stopped at the scene and spoke to the student who did not desire medical attention at the time of the incident.

The student sustained minor scrapes and bruising on both shins, Brockie said.

The driver spoke with University Police and said the student came out of nowhere.

University Police reported the incident as a hit-and-run, and followed up on it.

After interviewing the driver and student, Brockie said it was determined there wasn’t a criminal case and that the driver will not be charged.

Bike Theft

On April 18, an officer recognized a bicycle theft suspect as a nonstudent who had been arrested multiple times for the same crime.

The officer asked the individual if they were wanted for anything and was let go, Brockie said.

Brockie recommended students go to the University Police station or the community resource center to register their bike.

“We take a picture of the bike, we take a picture of you with the bike and we put all that information into our report riding system,” Brockie said.

If the bike is registered, a serial number can then be put into a nationwide registry that any police department can access.

If a bike is stolen, University Police can retrieve it from the registry with its serial number and picture. Brockie said this will aid them, or any agency, if they run a serial number with a stolen bike.

He also said this is a surefire way to identify bikes because most owners don’t have their serial numbers written down.

“If we don’t have a serial number then the chances are very small of a bike being recovered,” Brockie said.

For more coverage of CSUF crime visit our dedicated page.

Illustration of student buying food

California proposing financial aid to food insecure students

The number of food-insecure students has been rising across college campuses throughout the nation due to rising tuition costs

Kanye West raps while three sillhouettes of women labeled with slang look over their shoulder in scorn.

Rappers Kanye West and the late XXXTentacion promote misogyny

It’s a troubling reality that most rappers still have a thriving career. From their seemingly flagrant misogynistic behaviors to

A graphic showing the steps to take in the event of an active shooter

Active shooter drills at Cal State Fullerton

September is National Preparedness Month at Cal State Fullerton, which encompasses everything from fire, earthquake, hurricane and active shooter