CSUF ranks 68th out of 300 on the Forbes national ‘Best Value Colleges’ list

Exterior shot of the CSUF emblem

Cal State Fullerton rose to rank 68 out of 300 higher education institutions in Forbes 2018 America’s Best Value Colleges List.

CSUF currently has in-state annual tuition cost of $6,437 and a 59 percent above-average graduation rate with 69 percent of students earning an average of $44,500 after graduation, according to the U.S. Department of Education.

Last year, CSUF ranked No. 190 in Forbes America’s Best Value College list, but this year, Forbes eliminated the risk of dropout, reduced the school’s ranking value on the Top College List from 25 percent to 20 percent and added net price to improve how the list is formulated.

The rankings were based on data pulled from the U.S. Department of Education’s College Scorecard and PayScale, and focused on alumni income, the net price of tuition, average student debt, school quality, graduation rate and Pell Grants available to low-income students.  

Out of the 23 California State Universities, Forbes recognized 15 campuses. Local CSUs in Southern California included San Diego State University (No. 45) Cal State Long Beach (No. 53) Cal Poly Pomona (No. 66) CSU Northridge (No. 114) CSU Los Angeles (No. 158) and CSU San Bernardino (No. 207).

The top two ranking universities are UCLA and UC Berkeley while Ivy League schools like Harvard (No. 6) and Columbia (No. 27).

The purpose of the list, according to Forbes, is to help students get more out of their college investments by evaluating different schools under lenses like in-state price, debt and earnings, which could make it easier for students to make a choice.