CSUF men’s golf finishes second round of Big West championship tied for first place

In Men's Golf, Sports
CSUF golfer swings as the ball flies out.
(Photo Courtesy of Matt Brown)

CSUF men’s golf finished the second round of the Big West championship tied for first place with UC Irvine at 7-under-par 569.

The Titans put together their best performance of the season with only one round to go at the 18-hole Eisenhower (Ike) Course at the Industry Hills Golf Club.

Redshirt senior Martin Manalo led the way once again for the Titans, tied for first at 5-under-par 139, moving up two places from the first round. Manalo scored 2-under-par 70 on Monday, despite scoring even par in holes 9 through 18.

Sophomore Derek Castillo moved up seven places, securing a three-way tie for sixth at 2-under-par 142 after finishing 2-under-par 70 in the second round.

Manalo and Castillo were the only Titans to improve during the second round of the tournament, after Matt Wilson, Mark Cobey and Dalton Daniel all slipped in the standings.

Manalo, Castillo and Cobey have recorded nine birdies since the start of the tournament, with CSUF standing in second place overall with 39 birdies.

The Titans finishing 1-under-par in 39 of their pars earned the team the top spot for round one and round two of the tournament.

In the last three appearances in the Big West championship, the Titans finished below fifth place. However, things seem to be looking up for CSUF this year.

With one round left in the tournament, the Titans have to manage another first place standing to advance to one of the six regional tournaments in the NCAA.

CSUF will wrap up the Big West championship and begin the battle for first place starting at 7:55 a.m. today.

Fullerton residents at a city council meeting

Fullerton residents voice concerns over CSUF fraternity house

Residents voiced their concerns to the Fullerton city council on Tuesday about living near a CSUF fraternity house. Many

Samantha Huerta exercises on a bench her feet on the ground and elbows on the bench with CSUF cross country.

Samantha Huerta represents CSUF cross country, named player of the week

Samantha Huerta, a cross-country runner in her third year at Cal State Fullerton, was named women’s cross-country athlete of

Photo Illustration showing a housing development.

Proposition 1 could authorize bonds to fund housing

Proposition 1, known as the Housing Programs and Veterans’ Loan Bond, would authorize bonds to fund housing assistance programs,