CSUF men’s golf finishes second round of Big West championship tied for first place

In Men's Golf, Sports
CSUF golfer swings as the ball flies out.
(Photo Courtesy of Matt Brown)

CSUF men’s golf finished the second round of the Big West championship tied for first place with UC Irvine at 7-under-par 569.

The Titans put together their best performance of the season with only one round to go at the 18-hole Eisenhower (Ike) Course at the Industry Hills Golf Club.

Redshirt senior Martin Manalo led the way once again for the Titans, tied for first at 5-under-par 139, moving up two places from the first round. Manalo scored 2-under-par 70 on Monday, despite scoring even par in holes 9 through 18.

Sophomore Derek Castillo moved up seven places, securing a three-way tie for sixth at 2-under-par 142 after finishing 2-under-par 70 in the second round.

Manalo and Castillo were the only Titans to improve during the second round of the tournament, after Matt Wilson, Mark Cobey and Dalton Daniel all slipped in the standings.

Manalo, Castillo and Cobey have recorded nine birdies since the start of the tournament, with CSUF standing in second place overall with 39 birdies.

The Titans finishing 1-under-par in 39 of their pars earned the team the top spot for round one and round two of the tournament.

In the last three appearances in the Big West championship, the Titans finished below fifth place. However, things seem to be looking up for CSUF this year.

With one round left in the tournament, the Titans have to manage another first place standing to advance to one of the six regional tournaments in the NCAA.

CSUF will wrap up the Big West championship and begin the battle for first place starting at 7:55 a.m. today.

A photo of Rami Perlman giving advice to CSUF's Music Industry club.

Space Yacht entrepreneur group gives industry advice to CSUF students

Space Yacht, a Los Angeles events collective, was invited by the Cal State Fullerton Music Industry Club on Tuesday

CSUF women's basketball forward Amiee Book waits for a free throw attempt.

Family fuels Amiee Book’s passion of basketball

Ranked second in the Big West in 3-point percentage, international student and CSUF women's basketball freshman forward Amiee Book

Cal State Fullerton women's basketball senior guard Jade Vega dribbles the ball during Cal State Fullerton's women's basketball game against Cal State Northridge.

CSUF women’s basketball looks to snap six game skid

CSUF women’s basketball will look to end their six-game losing streak Thursday night when they host UC Santa Barbara.