Cal State Fullerton men’s golf set to enter round one of Big West Championship

In Men's Golf, Sports
Titans golfer setting up for a par.
(Photo courtesy of Matt Brown)

Cal State Fullerton men’s golf is gearing up for the end of its 2017-2018 season as it enters the Big West championship starting Sunday.

The Titans are set to face other Big West teams at the Pacific Palms Resort where they will compete in an 18-hole tournament in the City of Industry.

CSUF’s best performance to date was in its most recent tournament at the El Macero Classic April 13 to 14. The Titans managed to finish the tournament tied for third place, finishing 27-over-par 891, dominating over Big West competitors UC Davis and Cal Poly, which finished sixth and eighth, respectively

Titans sophomore Derek Castillo finished the 18-hole course at El Macero tied for 12th place with 7-over-par 216, and has led the way for the team after finishing in the top 20 in April’s tournaments.

Long Beach State is going to be the most competitive opponent for the Titans when they meet for round one on Sunday, as they have secured a spot in the top five of its last five tournaments.

The Wyoming Cowboy Classic finished with Long Beach tied for fourth against UC Davis. CSUF fell short and finished tied for sixth place.

49ers junior Joe Fryer was named April’s top golfer after completing three top-15 standings this month. He finished No.1 at the UC Santa Barbara Intercollegiate, his second first place finish of the season.

The Big West Tournament is set to begin Sunday, April 29 and conclude on Tuesday, May 1.