CSUF softball confident it can win on the road against CSUN

In Softball, Sports

Following a 3-0 sweep of UC Santa Barbara in its first series in Big West conference play, Cal State Fullerton softball is confident heading into its series against Cal State Northridge.

Right fielder Brooke Clemetson said the Titans “haven’t even talked about” the games being their first road series since February 25.

“To us, they’re just more games to play. We’ll go there and make it our home,” Clemetson said. “We clinched a (Big West conference) championship on Northridge’s field so we can go there and take it over again.” 

Clemetson and her teammates said they believe more effort went into the teams’ performance against the Gauchos than what the box score shows.

“We talked about what we’re going to bring to this weekend from this past weekend, and a lot of people said our confidence and energy,” Clemetson said. “It really showed on the field … That’s what’s going to get us through this weekend.”

Northridge is currently on a three-game losing streak after dropping its game against UCLA on Tuesday. However, Titans Head Coach Kelly Ford is focused on the teams’ improvement, regardless of its opponent.

Ford is concerned with stopping Northridge’s offense. Infielder Savannah Horvath leads the conference with 12 home runs and is seven away from breaking the all-time Big West conference record of 53 career home runs.

“They’ve got the long ball in their arsenal so we’ve got to be really intentional with our pitches,” Ford said. “Not that Santa Barbara wasn’t, but according to the stats they don’t have the long ball like Northridge does.”

Ford said she thinks the Titans operated at “75 percent of what they’re capable of” in their games this season against Santa Barbara and that the final 25 percent will be unlocked with work put in everyday at practice.

“Our pitching has to get better, our defense has to get better and our hitting has to get better. If we go into this series without getting better at the little things, we’ll get left behind,” Ford said.

The Titans will play a doubleheader on Saturday at Matador Diamond with games at 1 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. followed by their final game on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Guests hug each other at the memorial service for Augie Garrido on Nov. 9.

CSUF honors the Titans baseball head coach Augie Garrido

CSUF baseball players, coaches, alumni and members of the CSUF athletic department commemorated the life of Augie Garrido, a

CSUF volleyball middle blocker Summer Kerins celebrates senior night with her family and head coach Ashley Preston when the Titans faced the Cal Baptist Lancers.

CSUF volleyball salvages one set against Cal Baptist on senior night

CSUF volleyball dropped its final home match of the season 3-1 to Cal Baptist University on Tuesday night, giving

The ‘Mayans M.C.’ takes ‘Sons of Anarchy’ to a new level

The “Mayans M.C.” season finale gave fans an answer to the season’s biggest mystery, but brings more unanswered questions