CSUF softball freshman Deshea Hill earns her second Big West Player of the Week award

Titan Deshea Hill is in the middle of catching a softball.

Freshman Deshea Hill was rewarded with her second Big West Player of the Week award for her standout performance against Northridge upon her return to CSUF softball following a nine-game hiatus for an injury.

“It feels really nice, I wasn’t expecting it. When I saw it, I was really shocked, but it’s nice to know that all of my hard work is paying off,” Hill said.

A bad step at first base left Hill with a strained ACL when the Titans faced Nebraska on March 17. However, just because she couldn’t practice with the team didn’t mean she wasn’t going to take time off.

“It didn’t really feel like I had any time off. Even though I wasn’t really practicing, I was still putting in the time watching pitches, and that helped me stay where I was at before,” Hill said.

Hill made her way back into Fullerton’s lineup prepared for conference play. She showcased her abilities against Northridge, where she recorded a double and three RBIs in the first game against the Matadors, giving the Titans a 4-1 victory.

Games two and three of the Titans weekend series gave Hill room to stuff the stat sheet. She recorded at least one hit and RBI in each of those games, finishing 5-for-8 overall to give CSUF a triumphant weekend sweep.

Hill, who has the second-highest batting average in the Big West (.416), is continuing to recover from her injury but won’t let that hold her back from getting better.

“I’ve been focusing on going to the training room, making sure I’m getting treatment on my knee and focusing during practice on getting what I need to get done,” Hill said.