CSUF softball will host No. 18 Long Beach State to break tie for first in the Big West conference

In Softball, Sports
Deshea Hill and Taylor Dockins walking away from the field.
(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

CSUF softball will face No. 18 Long Beach State at home in a three-game series starting Friday. The two teams are the only undefeated ones left in Big West conference play.

The Titans have won six straight games and pitcher Sophie Frost credits their success to the hard work the team puts in during practice.

“We have fun but we do what we need to do outside of games to get better,” Frost said.

Long Beach State comes to Anderson Family Field with a 31-7 overall record and a 13-game winning streak. The 49ers are led by pitcher Cielo Meza, who leads the Big West in earned run average, strikeouts and wins.

Fullerton has played 28 of its 40 games this season at home, posting a 16-12 record. Frost said the team’s difficult nonconference schedule prepared them for the challenges of conference play.

“I think at this point we know not to look at the name on their jersey. It’s the same game we’ve been playing our entire lives. If we take it one pitch at a time, we’ll be fine,” Frost said.

Winning her last three starts has given Frost and catcher Julia Valenzuela greater confidence in themselves. Frost believes the duo is “unstoppable” when they step on the field together.

Valenzuela said the time spent together in the bullpen and as roommates bolsters their strength as a unit in games.

“We can talk to each other about things we need to work on,” Valenzuela said. “It’s not like I’m getting mad and telling her ‘This is what you need to do.’ We’re working to better each other.”

In the series against Cal State Northridge, Valenzuela recorded a hit in all three games and multiple hits in the first two. Valenzuela said the performance gave herself more confidence in her swing after recording only nine hits during the entire month of March.

“I’m just trying to simplify myself and work on the little things. When I go up to bat, I’m not thinking that much. I’m trying to be aggressive,” Valenzuela said.

On Friday at 6:00 p.m. the Titans will face Long Beach State at home and again on Saturday at 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.

Guests hug each other at the memorial service for Augie Garrido on Nov. 9.

CSUF honors the Titans baseball head coach Augie Garrido

CSUF baseball players, coaches, alumni and members of the CSUF athletic department commemorated the life of Augie Garrido, a

CSUF volleyball middle blocker Summer Kerins celebrates senior night with her family and head coach Ashley Preston when the Titans faced the Cal Baptist Lancers.

CSUF volleyball salvages one set against Cal Baptist on senior night

CSUF volleyball dropped its final home match of the season 3-1 to Cal Baptist University on Tuesday night, giving

The ‘Mayans M.C.’ takes ‘Sons of Anarchy’ to a new level

The “Mayans M.C.” season finale gave fans an answer to the season’s biggest mystery, but brings more unanswered questions