CSUF softball knows what it takes to win series against UC Davis this weekend

In Softball, Sports
Titans pitcher Trish Parks setting up for a pitch.
(Jamie Cornejo / Daily Titan File Photo)

CSUF softball will host UC Davis for a three-game series starting Saturday.

The Titans (11-1 in Big West conference) swept Hawaii last weekend on the road. UC Davis lost its final game to UC Riverside on Sunday, but took the series by winning the first two.

“We won each game differently and it shows how versatile we are. We don’t have to rely on one thing at a time, hitting, pitching and defense. When we have all three working, it’s incredible,” said Titans third baseman Bryanna Ybarra.

Ybarra is fresh off her first career Big West Conference Field Player of the Week award after recording six hits and two home runs at Hawaii. She said the award didn’t come by surprise.

“It was a goal of mine but it wasn’t what I was striving for. It’s really great that I got it but I think it shows all of the hard work that I’ve been putting in. To see everything clicking last weekend and getting this reward is like ‘Wow, finally, my work is paying off,’” Ybarra said.

CSUF’s offense, led by Ybarra, ranks first in runs, hits, extra-base hits, RBIs and more since conference play started. However, they will be matched up against an astute defense at UC Davis.

The Aggies have given up the third fewest hits, runs and have the third lowest ERA in the Big West. They also rank third in fielding percentage.

The Titans know how much work is required for a win — they have yet to lose a series in the conference — and that starts with “over-preparing” for the matchup against UC Davis.

“We scout them and know which pitch they’re going to throw. Defensively and offensively, we take our reps. Throw some fun in there, and I feel like we’re going to be good,” Ybarra said.

Saturday’s doubleheader will start at noon, with the second game at 2:00 p.m. The final game of the series will start at noon on Sunday.