CSUF tennis to begin Big West Championship play over the weekend against Cal State Northridge

In Sports, Tennis
Titans shaking hands with opponents after a set.
(Photo Courtesy of Matt Brown)

CSUF tennis will head to the Indian Wells Tennis Garden on Friday to take on Cal State Northridge in the quarterfinals of the Big West Tournament.

Fullerton is fresh off a 4-2 victory on the road against Long Beach State in its most recent match. The win snapped the Titans’ 23-match losing streak against the 49ers.

The Titans finished the regular season with a 19-5 record while going 6-2 in Big West play. They tied with UC Davis for the second-best record in the conference.

However, because the Aggies defeated the Titans on March 28, Fullerton earned the No. 3 seed in the tournament and will take on No. 6 Northridge. This will be the third-consecutive year the Matadors and the Titans face off in the quarterfinals.

Last year, CSUF prevailed over Northridge 4-3 and advanced to the team’s first ever semifinal match. However, in 2016, the Titans fell to the Matadors 4-3 in the quarterfinal match.

The Titans hold a 1-16 all-time record in the tournament quarterfinals.

Northridge’s regular season campaign ended with a 7-11 record while going 3-5 in conference play. The Titans last faced the Matadors in February for their conference opener where they swept Northridge 4-0.

The Titans play the Matadors on Friday at 11 a.m. If Fullerton defeats Northridge, it will advance to the semifinals and play the winner of No. 2 UC Davis and No. 7 Cal Poly at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday.  

Exterior shot of the CSUF emblem

Cal State Universities work to improve sustainability efforts

Sustainability is becoming more important to all Cal State Universities as each university has agreed to comply with specific

Where CSUF’s water comes from and how it’s maintained

Cal State Fullerton’s water supply comes from the city of Fullerton, which gets its water from the Metropolitan Water

Cal State Fullerton’s commuter culture negatively impacts air quality on campus

Commuter behavior poses a threat to Cal State Fullerton’s ability to meet air quality pollution standards set by the