CSUF tennis to begin Big West Championship play over the weekend against Cal State Northridge

In Sports, Tennis
Titans shaking hands with opponents after a set.
(Photo Courtesy of Matt Brown)

CSUF tennis will head to the Indian Wells Tennis Garden on Friday to take on Cal State Northridge in the quarterfinals of the Big West Tournament.

Fullerton is fresh off a 4-2 victory on the road against Long Beach State in its most recent match. The win snapped the Titans’ 23-match losing streak against the 49ers.

The Titans finished the regular season with a 19-5 record while going 6-2 in Big West play. They tied with UC Davis for the second-best record in the conference.

However, because the Aggies defeated the Titans on March 28, Fullerton earned the No. 3 seed in the tournament and will take on No. 6 Northridge. This will be the third-consecutive year the Matadors and the Titans face off in the quarterfinals.

Last year, CSUF prevailed over Northridge 4-3 and advanced to the team’s first ever semifinal match. However, in 2016, the Titans fell to the Matadors 4-3 in the quarterfinal match.

The Titans hold a 1-16 all-time record in the tournament quarterfinals.

Northridge’s regular season campaign ended with a 7-11 record while going 3-5 in conference play. The Titans last faced the Matadors in February for their conference opener where they swept Northridge 4-0.

The Titans play the Matadors on Friday at 11 a.m. If Fullerton defeats Northridge, it will advance to the semifinals and play the winner of No. 2 UC Davis and No. 7 Cal Poly at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday.  

Guests hug each other at the memorial service for Augie Garrido on Nov. 9.

CSUF honors the Titans baseball head coach Augie Garrido

CSUF baseball players, coaches, alumni and members of the CSUF athletic department commemorated the life of Augie Garrido, a

CSUF volleyball middle blocker Summer Kerins celebrates senior night with her family and head coach Ashley Preston when the Titans faced the Cal Baptist Lancers.

CSUF volleyball salvages one set against Cal Baptist on senior night

CSUF volleyball dropped its final home match of the season 3-1 to Cal Baptist University on Tuesday night, giving

The ‘Mayans M.C.’ takes ‘Sons of Anarchy’ to a new level

The “Mayans M.C.” season finale gave fans an answer to the season’s biggest mystery, but brings more unanswered questions