The Daily Titan has received 40 awards from 10 different organizations over the 2017-2018 school year.
Bryant Freese, former sports editor, received the highest student journalism accolade on April 9 when his story “Daron Park exits Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball amid allegations of misconduct” won a first place Hearst Journalism Award for sports writing.
Freese’s investigation was honored for getting nearly a dozen women basketball players on the record alleging that former CSUF women’s basketball head coach had verbally abused them and threatened their scholarships.
The story was written in New York while Freese was attending the 2017 College Media Association conference, where he and his Daily Titan colleagues learned that his investigation would lead to Park being bought out of his contract.
The story beat out 121 other entries and won a $3,000 grant for Freese that will be matched for the Cal State Fullerton journalism program.
His article also received a first place award for best sports story at the California College Media Association Awards on March 3 and was recognized for outstanding investigative reporting by the American Scholastic Press Association on April 26.
Christopher Sheats, former layout editor, and Harrison Faigen, web editor, were additionally acknowledged by the American Scholastic Press Association for their contributions to Freese’s piece.
Faigen alone received seven awards for his sports coverage, including second place at the California Journalism Awards for his feature on the nine-year-old boy with autism and leukemia who became an official member of the Titan’s baseball team.
The series of articles covering conservative provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos’ Halloween visit last semester to CSUF also received a number of accolades.
Three stories from the night of Yiannopoulos’ visit and their accompanying photos and multimedia elements, were recognized at the Associated Collegiate Press National Convention and the California College Media Association Awards on March 3, at the California Journalism Awards on April 14, and at the Society of Professional Journalists’ Region 11 Mark of Excellence Awards on April 28.
Another finalist in the Mark of Excellence Awards was Kaleb Stewart, former arts and entertainment editor, for his column titled “Rough Sketch,” which featured four articles that covered the animation industry.
Members of the photo desk, most notably editor Katie Albertson, won six different awards for news, sports, and arts and entertainment photos.
Two organizations recognized the Daily Titan advertising department for its media kit, “Vida Health Center” advertisement and interactive “Where’s Tuffy?” audience engagement campaign.
The Daily Titan was additionally recognized with a first place Best of Show award at the Associated Collegiate Press National Convention and was a finalist for best all-around student newspaper at the Mark of Excellence Awards.
The paper’s Twitter account also won third place in the Best Social Media Platform category at the California College Media Association Awards.
Bonnie Stewart, the Daily Titan’s advisor, was presented the Distinguished Faculty Member award at the College of Communications Awards on April 26 by department chair Jason Shepard in part for her leadership over the nationally recognized student newspaper.
Los Angeles Press Club SoCal Journalism Awards
- Third place in the Best Feature Photo category for “Hispanic Heritage Celebrated” by Katie Albertson
- Second place in the Best Arts or Entertainment Photo category for “Queens Slay” by Katie Albertson
- Third place in the Best Arts or Entertainment Photo category for “Lupe Fiasco” by Katie Albertson
- Second place in the Best Commentary/Critique category for “CSUF’s Production of ‘Tallgrass Gothic’ is scary for very human and timely reasons” by Kaleb Stewart
- Finalist in the Best Arts or Entertainment Feature category for “Mother and Daughter bring Syrian Culture to Campus” by Elizabeth Hummer
California Journalism Awards
- Second place in the Writing category for “The friendship that’s fueled Cal State Fullerton baseball” by Harrison Faigen
- Second place in the Photo Illustration category for “CSUF in shock after Las Vegas Terrorist Attack”
- Finalist in the Sports Game Story category for “CSUF Women’s Soccer fails in Big West Tournament” by Harrison Faigen
- Finalist in the Sports Game Story category for “CSUF Men’s Soccer Dominates Sac State in 3-1 home win” by Yaresly Sanchez-Aguilera
- Finalist in the News Photo category for “Riot Police and People Gather outside Milo Yiannopoulos Event” by Fernando Salazar
- Finalist in the Sports Action Photo category for “Titan basketball player targets the basket” by Katie Albertson
- Finalist in the Illustration category for “Homeless are stereotyped” by Hannah Miller
College Media Association National Convention Awards
- Best game story in the New York Sports Writing Competition for “Clutch plays from Kyron Cartwright power Providence to Big East title game” by Harrison Faigen
Associated Collegiate Press National Convention Awards
- First place in the Best of Show for More than Weekly Newspapers at four-year Universities
- Fourth place in the Best of Show for Newspaper Special Edition category for the Milo Yiannopoulos Reissue
- Third place in the Best of Show for Multimedia Packages category for the Milo Yiannopoulos Halloween coverage
California College Media Association Awards
- First place in the Best Sports Story category for “Head Coach Out After Turbulent Tenure” by Bryant Freese
- Third place in the Best Social Media Platform category for the Daily Titan’s Twitter
- Third place in the Best News Series category for the “Homeless in OC” series by Bryant Freese, Megan Maxey, Ashlyn Ramirez, Jason Rochlin and Sarah Wolstoncroft
- Honorable mention in the Best Multimedia Presentation category for “CSUF in Disarray as protests erupt, Milo Halloween event” by Bailey Carpenter, Gabe Gandara, Tracy Hoang, Megan Maxey, Hannah Miller and Brandon Pho
- Honorable mention in the Best Breaking News Story category for “Protest Ends in Altercation” by Brandon Pho and Sarah Wolstoncroft
- Third place in the Best Sports Photo category for “Titans Clinch Big West Conference” by Katie Albertson
- Second place in the Best Advertising Sales promotion Materials category for the Daily Titan Ads Media Kit
- Second place in the Best Advertising Special Section category for “Vida Health Center” advertisement
College Media Business and Advertising Managers Awards
- Second place in the Best Guerilla Marketing Strategy/Program/Event category for the “Daily Titan Viral Blitz” newspaper hand-out campaign
- Third place in the Best Half Page or Larger Display Ad – Color category for the “Vida Health Center” advertisement
- Honorable mention in the Best Audience Engagement Strategy category for the “Where’s Tuffy” campaign
- Honorable mention in the Best Classified/Fun Page or Section category for the Oct. 17, 2017 Leisure page
Hearst Journalism Awards
- First place in the Sports Writing category for “Daron Park exits Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball amid allegations of misconduct” by Bryant Freese
College of Communications Awards
- Advisor Bonnie Stewart received the “Distinguished Faculty Member” award
American Scholastic Press Association Awards
- First place for Colleges/Universities with 2501+ enrollment
- Most Outstanding College Newspaper for 2017-18
- Outstanding Investigative Reporting for “Head Coach Out after Turbulent Year” by Harrison Faigen, Bryant Freese and Christopher Sheats
Society of Professional Journalists’ Region 11 Mark of Excellence Awards
- Finalist for Best All-Around Daily Student Newsroom
- Finalist in the Breaking News Reporting (10,000+ student school) category for the “Milo Yiannopoulos’ Halloween visit to CSUF” series by Breanna Belken, Brandon Pho, Jason Rochlin and Amy Wells
- Finalist in the Photo Illustration (10,000+ student school) category for “Cal State Fullerton doesn’t have football” by Katie Albertson and Cathryn Edwards
- Finalist in the Column Writing category for “Rough Sketch” by Kaleb Stewart
- Finalist in the Online Sports Reporting category for “Freshman basketball player brings talent and team spirit” by Harrison Faigen and Gabe Gandara
- Finalist in the Sports Column Writing category for “Tanking epidemic demonstrates why NBA must get rid of the draft lottery; Devil’s Advocate: The NBA isn’t soft, it’s smart; Donald Trump’s recent comments show why athletes can’t just ‘stick to sports’” by Harrison Faigen
- Finalist in the Sports Writing (10,000+ student school) category for “CSUF Athletics succeeds despite budgetary limits” by Harrison Faigen