Fullerton Police will not be investigating case of man falling from apartment balcony due to no signs of foul play

In Local News, News
(Dalia Quiroz / Daily Titan)

The Fullerton Police Department is not suspecting foul play in an incident involving a 19-year-old man who fell from a third floor balcony at the University House apartments near Cal State Fullerton on March 24, said Fullerton Police Lt. Michael Chlebowski.

The victim, who is not a CSUF student, did not live at the apartments and was visiting friends, Chlebowski said.

The man may have been on recreational drugs and scared the residents of the apartment, who locked themselves in a separate room and called the police, Chlebowski said, who was the watch commander during the night of the incident.

Witnesses in the parking structure that overlook the third floor balcony told officers there was no sign of an altercation because the 19 year old was alone at the time, and they could not tell whether he had fallen or jumped.

“The people in the apartment did everything right,” Chlebowski said. “They called the police, they put themselves in a position of safety. The guy did what he did, but when there are other factors involved affecting your judgement, things happen.”

Because there was no sign of foul play, Chlebowski said the case is listed as a “public accident” and there are no plans to investigate the incident further.

The 19 year old was brought to a local Orange County hospital after the Fullerton Fire Department rendered aid. His condition was “critical, but not life threatening” Chlebowski said, but Fullerton police have not been informed of any further details.

University Police Captain Scot Willey said University Police could not comment on the case because they did not handle the call.

CSUF baseball dropped the first game of the NCAA Fullerton Super Regional to Washington 8-5 Friday at Goodwin Field.