Justin Turner, J.D. Davis and Khris Davis among nine former members of CSUF baseball represented on 2018 MLB Opening Day rosters

Justin Turner smiling in Dodgers gear
(Courtesy of Arturo Pardavila III)

Major League Baseball kicked off the 2018 season last week, and Cal State Fullerton was well represented across the Opening Day rosters with nine former CSUF baseball players listed on the lineups.

Khris Davis, who played with CSUF from 2007-2009, is entering his sixth season and coming off of a 43-home-run season. This will be Davis’ third season with the Oakland Athletics.

Joining Davis is Matt Chapman, who kicked off his first Opening Day after being called up from the minor leagues for his debut last June. Chapman was drafted in the first round by the A’s after his third season at CSUF.

Chris Devenski, who was with the Titans for only one season, began his third season with the 2017 World Series Champions, Houston Astros.

Justin Turner was placed on the disabled list after breaking his wrist on March 20 to start his ninth season in the MLB. He was on the Titans roster for four years and a member of the last Fullerton team to win the College World Series in 2004.

Joining Turner on the 2004 team was Kurt Suzuki, who entered his 12th MLB season, the most amongst active Titans in the Majors.

To start his fourth season, Michael Lorenzen was placed on the disabled list after he was shut down from throwing due to a right shoulder strain. Lorenzen was a first-round pick from CSUF after his second year as a Titan.

J.D. Davis played on his first Opening Day roster after he was called up from the minors to the Astros last August. Although a member of the Astros last season, Davis was not a part of the Astros World Series roster. He was a Titan for three seasons.

After playing at CSUF for three years, Noe Ramirez entered his fourth season and first Opening Day with the Angels. He was claimed by the Angels last August, making this his first full season with the team.

Chad Wallach played in his first Opening Day with the Marlins after debuting with the Cincinnati Reds in 2017. Wallach, son of former Titan Tim Wallach, spent three years as a Titan and was claimed by the Marlins during the off-season.

Five former Titans will serve as coaches in the 2018 season including Mark Kotsay, Tim Wallach, Mike Harkey, Phil Nevin and P.J. Pilittere.

Kotsay, a Golden Spikes award winner at CSUF in 1995,  will serve as the major league quality control coach for the Oakland Athletics.  

Tim Wallach, also a Golden Spikes winner in 1979, will maintain his position as bench coach for the Miami Marlins, which he has held for the last two seasons.

Harkey and Nevin will both be coaches with the New York Yankees this season; Harkey returned to the Yankees for his ninth season as their bullpen coach. Joining Harkey with the Yankees is Pilittere and Nevin, the 1992 Golden Spikes winner.

Pilittere was a member of Fullerton’s 2004 team alongside Suzuki and Turner. He will serve as an assistant hitting coach for the Yankees.

The empty lot of city land that could be the potential new home for the Pathways of Hope Keystone Project.

Pathways of Hope proposes Keystone project to city council to reduce homelessness in OC

Pathways of Hope, a local nonprofit organization, has created the Keystone project in an effort to combat homelessness specifically

Joanne Ferchland-Parella one of three finalists for associate vice president position

Joanne Ferchland-Parella is one of three finalists for the open position of associate vice president for University Advancement —

Pecic working in a lab.

Cal State Fullerton welcomes new tenure-track professor

Cal State Fullerton’s College of Natural Sciences & Mathematics grew this summer after welcoming professor Stevan Pecic, Ph.D., to