Titans Head Coach Kelly Ford earns her 200th win with CSUF softball as the Titans sweep Hawaii on the road

In Softball, Sports
Bryanna Ybarra on second base
(Gabe Gandara / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton softball recorded its third series sweep in Big West conference play this season and fourth straight series win, winning both games of its doubleheader at Hawaii on Saturday.

Fullerton maintained the top spot in the conference and improved to an 11-1 record. Titans Head Coach Kelly Ford earned her 200th win with the program after the first game on Saturday.

Game 3: 11-1

Hawaii’s only run in the second game of Saturday’s doubleheader came in the first inning. The Titans went on to score 11 consecutive runs in the third, fourth and fifth inning, tying their second-highest run total this season.

Center fielder Ari Williams logged three hits and scored two runs. Left fielder Sammie Vandiver and third baseman Bryanna Ybarra also recorded two hits.

Fullerton finished both games on Saturday with 12 hits in each.

Pitcher Sophie Frost improved her record for the season to 11-5 with the win. In her 13th complete game of the season, she allowed three hits while striking out two batters and giving up one run.

Game 2: 6-2

The Titans never trailed in their first win Saturday. In the second inning, second baseman Sam Kennedy brought Ybarra home for their first run, and from then on the Titans never looked back.

Designated player Deshea Hill carried Fullerton offensively. The freshman sent four runners home in the game: two in the fifth inning with a double and two in the seventh with a single.

Hill’s four RBIs mark a new career high for herself.

Vandiver (3) and Ybarra (2) again logged multiple hits for CSUF. Ybarra scored once while Vandiver scored twice and brought in a run.

Pitcher Trish Parks struck five batters out while giving up eight hits and two runs on the way to her sixth win of the season.

Game 1: 4-3

In the first game of the series, Frost gave up two home runs in the first inning putting Fullerton in a 3-0 hole.

For only the third time this season, the Titans responded with two home runs of their own, both from Ybarra’s bat. Hill was sent home with Ybarra’s two-run homer in the second inning and logged a solo shot in the sixth to give CSUF the lead.

Ybarra finished with two hits, two runs and three RBIs, giving her two hits in each game of the series.

CSUF will have a week of practice before it hosts UC Davis starting Saturday, April 28.