RBI single by Sahid Valenzuela gives CSUF baseball a sweep over ASU

In Baseball, Sports, Top Stories

Cal State Fullerton baseball managed to claim its series after an RBI single by Titans shortstop Sahid Valenzuela allowed Fullerton to record a 2-1 win against the Sun Devils on the road Wednesday.

“(Titans Head Coach Rick Vanderhook) was talking about the rivalry with ASU way before anyone has been here so it was important to get the W,” Titans pitcher Timothy Josten told CSUF Sports Media.

Wednesday night’s game marked CSUF’s fourth comeback win of the season and its fourth consecutive win against ASU since last season.

The Titans were the first to draw blood in the top of the second when junior Nick Ciandro flied out to center field to bring home junior Jake Pavletich.  

In the bottom of the third, ASU found its way onto the scoreboard after a home run from junior Gage Canning. Canning is the source of ASU’s offensive power as he leads the team in hits and runs.

The game remained tied 1-1 until the top of the eighth inning when Valenzuela singled to advance runners to second and third base, bringing home junior Hank LoForte.

While Valenzuela was credited with the game winner, LoForte tied his career-high record of three hits in a single game.

CSUF’s pitching staff dominated on the mound after rotating four pitchers.

Josten made his first collegiate appearance against the Sun Devils and allowed four hits and one run in the four innings he pitched.  

“It felt great. It was basically what I expected. I just wanted to pound the zone and put up zeros for the boys,” Josten told CSUF Sports Media.

Blake Workman made his way to the mound after Josten and was awarded the win after he tossed three innings, only allowing two hits and no runs.

Dillion Brown stepped in for an inning and allowed no runs making closer Brett Conine’s job easier as he pitched the final inning.

Conine recorded his fifth save of the season after putting out the three batters he faced to give the Titans a series victory.

The nonconference sweep brought CSUF to 12-15 overall.The Titans will pick up conference play again with a three-game homestand against Cal Poly starting Friday, April 6 at 7 p.m.

Graph depicting full time equivalent students enrollment at different CSU's

Cal State Fullerton ranks lowest in funding per student in the CSU system

Cal State Fullerton receives the lowest funding per student in the CSU system and has the most enrolled students

Graph showing a decrease in crime statistics

CSUF releases Annual Security Report under Clery Act showing 2017 crime rates

Cal State Fullerton and several other local CSUs have released their 2017 Annual Security Report as mandated by the

Gayle Brunelle addresses her concerns with executive order 1100 at academic senate meeting thursday

General education requirements in CSU system could create faculty layoffs

Chancellor Timothy P. White issued an executive order in August 2017 requiring colleges in the CSU system to change