Dezzy Hollow opens up about ‘EBT Boi,’ his musical influences and future projects at The Smokers Club Festival

In Artist Profile, Arts & Entertainment, Lifestyle, Music
Dezzy Hollow poses for a photo backstage at the Smokers Club Festival.
(Brian Alvarado / Daily Titan)

Independent up-and-coming rapper Dezzy Hollow took the main stage at The Smokers Club Festival on Sunday and caught up with the Daily Titan.

Best known for his song “EBT Boi,” which has over two million views on YouTube, the artist talked about the inspiration that came while writing it.

Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT), formerly known as food stamps, is a way for recipients who are less fortunate to purchase food products using money allocated from public assistance.

“A lot my homeboys are on EBT, it’s more so a lifestyle. I wanted to paint a picture of a boy that’s on the verge of falling off of a good path that he’s starting to pick up, but he’s surrounded by a really bad environment,” Hollow said.

Starting to take his career seriously during his senior year in high school after selling mixtapes out of his book bag, Hollow molded his sound after the music culture prominent on the West Coast.

“I think my style has been so transformed from the beginning of how I started to now, but for the most part, I listen to a lot of DJ Quik and a lot of West Coast-gangster rap. That was just everything, the lifestyle,” Hollow said.

Hollow, a native of Oceanside, also talked about how his hometown has influenced his perspective and the content of his music.

“One thing I could say is that Oceanside has a lot of culture, so it’s very diverse where I come from. I’m used to seeing all point of views and all types of races and different ideas,” Hollow said.

Hollow is also wrapping up a project called “Oceanside,” which will feature 17 to 18 tracks.

CSUF and CSUB tip off from Titan Gym.

Titans’ second half surge not enough in first round of CIT

The chapter of Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball, where the backcourt duo of Kyle Allman Jr. and Khalil Ahmad

Multilevel marketing (MLM) is a terrible business model that can harm vulnerable individuals and communities that don’t know the