Cal State Fullerton softball to play final road series of season at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo

In Softball, Sports
Pitcher Sophie Frost is in the middle of pitching during a game.
(Jaime Cornejo / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton softball will travel to Cal Poly San Luis Obispo for its final road series in the Big West conference this season.

The Titans (29-21, 14-1 in conference) have won their last eight conference games despite having their overall winning streak snapped by UCLA on Tuesday. The Mustangs (23-21, 7-8 in conference) have won five of their last seven Big West games.

Batting is not Cal Poly SLO’s strong suit. The team ranks last in hits, runs, RBIs and batting average in the conference this season. Alternatively, Fullerton ranks No. 2 in all of the same categories.

Mustangs pitcher Lindsey Chalmers has been key to their current third-place rank in the Big West. She holds the lowest ERA in conference play (1.36) and has allowed the second-fewest home runs for pitchers with more than five starts.

Chalmers shares the most wins of Big West pitchers with Fullerton’s Sophie Frost, who has seven wins.

“She’s a very good pitcher. We’re going to watch some footage on her and make our adjustments to be prepared for Saturday,” said Titans Head Coach Kelly Ford.

Frost and Trish Parks combined for a season-high 11 strikeouts Tuesday against UCLA. Frost said the performance worked as a confidence boost for her, but she knows the entire pitching staff still has room for improvement before the regular season ends.

“We need to treat every single offense like the UCLA offense or we’re going to get surprised by some people,” Frost said.

The first pitch of Saturday’s doubleheader is scheduled for 1:00 p.m. The final game of the series will be played at the same time Sunday.

Graph depicting full time equivalent students enrollment at different CSU's

Cal State Fullerton ranks lowest in funding per student in the CSU system

Cal State Fullerton receives the lowest funding per student in the CSU system and has the most enrolled students

Graph showing a decrease in crime statistics

CSUF releases Annual Security Report under Clery Act showing 2017 crime rates

Cal State Fullerton and several other local CSUs have released their 2017 Annual Security Report as mandated by the

Gayle Brunelle addresses her concerns with executive order 1100 at academic senate meeting thursday

General education requirements in CSU system could create faculty layoffs

Chancellor Timothy P. White issued an executive order in August 2017 requiring colleges in the CSU system to change