CSUF ASI Board of Directors approved $12,000 in funding for Tuffy’s Basic Needs Center and 19 other items at last meeting of 2017-18 academic year

(Jason Rochlin / Daily Titan)

The CSUF Associated Students board of directors approved 20 items at its last meeting of the 2017-18 academic year Tuesday, including a $12,000 contingency fund for the Tuffy’s Basic Needs Center and a change in bylaws, making it easier to remove some student leaders from their positions.

Board Chair Nicholas Jakel said Tuesday’s meeting was one of the more “exciting” meetings he has attended.

“I don’t think we’ve ever had an agenda with that many action items on it,” Jakel said. “I’m glad to leave the year on a positive note just serving students the best way we can.”

The money being allocated to the Tuffy’s Basic Needs Center is an extension of what was provided last year by the board, as there is more of a demand now that the new site has opened, said Elizabeth Perez, director of the College of Humanities and Social Sciences.

Funding will go toward “increasing the visibility” of the center, which opened in February but has only seen minor use, and creating more emergency grants to support students, said Carmen Curiel, associate dean of students.

Joshua Borjas, director of the College of Communications and incoming Associated Students president, said the Basic Needs Resolution stood out as one of the most important things at the meeting.

“Being a resident adviser in housing, I’m worried about some of my residents because they do experience housing insecurity,” Borjas said. “Knowing that we’re supporting that center is exciting and makes me happy and confident.”

The board also approved Aldrich CPAs + Advisors LLP to audit Associated Students for three years starting in fall 2018, upon the advice of Glaiza Julian, board vice chair and treasurer, and Dave Edwards, Associated Students executive director.

Aldrich was chosen from a pool of five potential firms that had already been certified to audit the California State University system.

“Specifically, this firm has experience with teaching students how to read financial statements, which can be a challenge. They’ve offered to come before the audit is presented and provide training sessions on reading audits,” Edwards said.

The board approved a proposal to require only five percent of the student body to vote, as opposed to 10 percent, to remove board members from the decision-making process with the exception of college directors.

This comes as over 40,000 students are enrolled at CSUF.

“All of our bylaw changes regarding our initiative, referendum, and recall is really important for transparency and for students to have a voice in who is leading ASI,” Jakel said.

The board also approved five items regarding an effort to update Associated Students policy statements over the 2017-18 academic year, to make sure those statements still comply with CSU standards said Carol McDoniel, Associated Students director of administration.

She said the efforts have focused mostly on financial policies, such as fundraising and student leader travel budgets throughout the spring semester. McDoniel said those statements were all “sound.”

“We basically just reformatted. The parts we added were just background on why this policy exists so future boards can look at the policy and understand it better,” McDoniel said.

McDoniel said the five items were the last parts of the effort that needed to be approved.

Also at Tuesday’s meeting:

• Stephen Stambough, Academic Senate chair, asked the board for input on possibly rescinding the senate’s ability to overturn laws passed by Associated Students at the senate’s May 10 meeting.
  • A resolution was passed “standing in solidarity” with victims of gun violence.
  • A resolution was passed supporting Project Rebound, a program which helps previously incarcerated students earn degrees.
  • A $5,000 contract for Ballet Folklorico de CSUF’s performance at Hope International University on May 5 was approved.
  • The board approved adding a consent calendar for future meetings starting in June.
  • The board appointed a number of Associated Students’ election and commission leaders for the upcoming year.

Fullerton residents at a city council meeting

Fullerton residents voice concerns over CSUF fraternity house

Residents voiced their concerns to the Fullerton city council on Tuesday about living near a CSUF fraternity house. Many

Samantha Huerta exercises on a bench her feet on the ground and elbows on the bench with CSUF cross country.

Samantha Huerta represents CSUF cross country, named player of the week

Samantha Huerta, a cross-country runner in her third year at Cal State Fullerton, was named women’s cross-country athlete of

Photo Illustration showing a housing development.

Proposition 1 could authorize bonds to fund housing

Proposition 1, known as the Housing Programs and Veterans’ Loan Bond, would authorize bonds to fund housing assistance programs,