Andrew Quezada throws second shutout of the season as CSUF baseball extends winning streak to six games with win over UC Davis

In Baseball, Sports, Top Stories
Andrew Quezada winds up
(Katie Albertson / Daily Titan File Photo)

Pitcher Andrew Quezada threw a complete game shutout for the second time in three starts as CSUF baseball completed its sweep of UC Davis with a 5-0 win on the road Sunday.

“The attitude today was to take game three and complete the sweep. I think that’s back-to-back sweeps for us so we’re happy. This eight-hour drive home is going to be a good one,” Quezada told CSUF Sports Media.

Quezada struck out three batters while allowing four hits against the Aggies (15-27 overall, 7-11 in conference). The Titans improved to 12-3 in the Big West conference, maintaining their first-place seed.

“I trusted the defense. I think I only had two or three strikeouts and they put a lot of balls in play. Early on in the series, we knew that they were aggressive so I tried pounding the zone for them to get themselves out,” Quezada told CSUF Sports Media.

Titans Head Coach Rick Vanderhook said Quezada was “excellent on the mound today” and credited his team for closing out the series strong.

“It’s great when you can get series wins on the road, but when you can get sweeps, well, that’s just hard to do. The guys did a great job of keeping their focus in a very tough place to play,” Vanderhook told CSUF Sports Media.

CSUF recorded double-digit hits for the fifth consecutive game Sunday. Center fielder Mitchell Berryhill and catcher Daniel Cope led the charge for the Titans.

Berryhill went 3-4 from the plate and Cope went 2-4 with a home run and 4 RBIs.

“The ball didn’t really fly out here all weekend but I put a pretty good swing on it. I didn’t really think it was going to be gone off the bat so I was kind of surprised, honestly,” Cope told CSUF Sports Media.

Second baseman Hank LoForte went 2-5 and scored two runs. Five other Titans logged a hit in the game.

Cope said the all-around dominance from Fullerton’s offense makes him more comfortable in his at-bats.

“If I don’t do my job, the person behind me will pick me up. That’s how we’ve been rolling for the past couple of weekends, putting up a lot of runs because of that,” Cope told CSUF Sports Media.

Fullerton heads back home to play its final series of the season against the last-place team in the Big West, UC Riverside, starting Friday, May 11 at 7 p.m.