CSUF men’s golf finishes fifth in Big West Championship

In Men's Golf, Sports
Titan Derek Castillo finishes swinging his golf club.
(Courtesy of Matt Brown)

CSUF men’s golf dropped in standings for the final round of the Big West championship at Eisenhower (Ike) Course in the City of Industry, finishing in fifth place despite having a tight grip on the top spot throughout the first and second round.

The Titans failed to swing as strongly as they did Sunday and Monday, scoring 9-over-par 297 in the 18-hole course Tuesday. The poor performance ended their 2017-2018 season.

UC Irvine, who shared first place with the Titans in round two, continued its dominant play Tuesday, going 5-under-par 283. The Anteaters score of 12-under-par 852 gave them the conference championship and earned them a ticket to the NCAA regionals.

All five of CSUF’s players dropped in standings. However, redshirt senior Martin Manalo tied for third place with UC Irvine’s David Kim, finishing round three with an even par to lead the Titans for the third day in a row.

Manalo completed 13 birdies throughout the course of the tournament to bring his overall score to 5-under-par 211.

Fullerton finished with the third-most birdies (52) but struggled to get the rest of the team on the same page as the previous two days.

Senior Mark Cobey took the biggest dip of the squad, dropping 15 places to end the final round 6-over-par 78.

The Titans return for the 2018-2019 season in the fall.

CSUF Outside Hitter Gabrielle Barcelos set ups a spike attempt for her teammate against Cal Poly SLO, Sept. 21.

CSUF volleyball loses to UC Santa Barbara, drops eighth-straight game

CSUF volleyball was aced 10 times on the way to a three-set loss against UC Santa Barbara in Titan

CSUF's forward Bass Sarr confronts St. Francis' midfielder Kevin Smolyn during the Titans 2-2 tie.

CSUF men’s soccer draws tie against St. Francis University

Sunday night was repeated doses of deja vu disguised as a soccer game, as Cal State Fullerton men’s soccer

An electric vehicle spot, much like the one where the kicking incident occurred.

CSUF professor ordered to pay student for damaged car

John Short, Cal State Fullerton professor of theatre and dance, was ordered to pay a CSUF student $3,246.44 on