CSUF men’s track and field wins second straight Big West Championship

Jorge Sanchez running
(Courtesy of Nick Allen)

CSUF men’s track and field won its second straight Big West championship at Cal State Northridge on Saturday.

The men’s team finished with a commanding 154 points in a roaring resurgence after sitting in fifth place by the end of Friday. The Titans 23.5 point deficit to Long Beach State became a 17.5 point lead after Saturday’s comeback.

Long Beach State slipped to second place at 136.5 points and UC Davis came in third with 121 points.

The men’s 4×100-meter relay squad of freshman Rasaun House, junior Thaddeus Smith, redshirt senior Luis Matos and sophomore Marcel Espinoza took first place with a time of 40.20 seconds.

Smith also won the 100-meter dash, clocking in at 10.46 seconds. He became the third Titan in the team’s history to win the event and the first since Eli Penick won it in 2016.

Senior Mason Guzman-Sanchez also snatched first place in the men’s 110-meter hurdles clocking in at 14.23 seconds and finishing just 0.01 seconds ahead of Northridge’s Joshua Turner.

Women’s track and field placed fourth with its 98 points in the championship over the weekend. Long Beach State won the title with 122 points.

The women’s team made its own marks over the weekend as well. On Saturday, junior Nicole Clark won CSUF’s first ever conference title for women’s javelin with a 46.08-meter toss.

Sophomore Kiana Clay was also a key factor for the Titans, coming second in the women’s 400-meter run with a time of 54.50 seconds and also placing sixth in the 200-meter at 24.51 seconds.

The weekend win continues a new era of greatness for the men’s team as its back-to-back Big West championships stand as the only two in team history.

The Titans will head north to Sacramento for the NCAA Division I West Preliminary Round, which will be held from May 24 through May 26 at Sacramento State.

The empty lot of city land that could be the potential new home for the Pathways of Hope Keystone Project.

Pathways of Hope proposes Keystone project to city council to reduce homelessness in OC

Pathways of Hope, a local nonprofit organization, has created the Keystone project in an effort to combat homelessness specifically

Joanne Ferchland-Parella one of three finalists for associate vice president position

Joanne Ferchland-Parella is one of three finalists for the open position of associate vice president for University Advancement —

Pecic working in a lab.

Cal State Fullerton welcomes new tenure-track professor

Cal State Fullerton’s College of Natural Sciences & Mathematics grew this summer after welcoming professor Stevan Pecic, Ph.D., to