Derek Castillo and Mark Cobey of CSUF men’s golf earn Big West All-Conference honors

In Men's Golf, Sports
Martin Manalo swinging
(Courtesy of Robert Huskey)

Sophomore Derek Castillo and senior Mark Cobey of CSUF men’s golf received All-Conference honors for the Big West conference on Wednesday.

In his first year at CSUF, Castillo made the All-Conference first team. Cobey earned second team honors in his final season with the team.

Castillo’s best performance of the season came at the Bill Cullum Invitational on Oct. 16 and 17. He took first place overall at 14-under-par 202 as he led the Titans to a fourth-place finish out of 12 teams.

Some of his top performances of the season include the Sacramento State Invitational (tied for eighth at 2-over-par 218), the ORU/SFA Challenge (tied for seventh at 4-over-par 217) and the William H. Tucker Intercollegiate (tied for seventh at even par 216).

In the Big West championship, Castillo shot 2-over-par 218 for a 19th-place tie.

At the Waves Challenge on Jan. 29 and 30, Cobey earned his best finish of the season, tying for 10th place at 10-over-par 226.

He finished tied for 14th at the El Macero Classic (8-over-par 224), tied for 16th at the Itani Quality Homes Collegiate (2-under-par 211) and tied for 20th at the Wyoming Cowboy Classic (1-under-par 215).

Cobey’s 6-over-par 222 put him tied for 26th at the Big West championship.

Although Cobey played his final season, Castillo is set to return for his junior season.

Exterior shot of the CSUF emblem

Cal State Universities work to improve sustainability efforts

Sustainability is becoming more important to all Cal State Universities as each university has agreed to comply with specific

Where CSUF’s water comes from and how it’s maintained

Cal State Fullerton’s water supply comes from the city of Fullerton, which gets its water from the Metropolitan Water

Cal State Fullerton’s commuter culture negatively impacts air quality on campus

Commuter behavior poses a threat to Cal State Fullerton’s ability to meet air quality pollution standards set by the