On-campus dining options at CSUF don’t have perfect health inspection scores

(Anita Huor / Daily Titan)

Campus vending machines are inspected once a year by CSUF safety and health officers. On Aug. 16, 2017, the eight coffee and food vending machines received A grades.

Grades are assigned based on point total for the inspection. The machines are marked down on the inspection report if their interiors and exteriors are not sanitary and clean. No machines lost points for lack of cleanliness.

However, on April 19 and May 3, 2018, Daily Titan reporters examined six coffee machines and found the dispensing areas to be unclean, with residue on the walls of the machine and dispense area.

Tony Lynch, director of campus dining, said the machines are cleaned when they are being serviced, depending on use, throughout the week by the vending providers.

Coffee spills happen all the time. A person can spill it, it just needs to be cleaned up right away. It’s not necessarily the result of it not being cleaned, it probably happened that day or the day before,” Lynch said.  

CSUF food facility inspection reports

On a Feb. 2 inspection at the Starbucks inside the Titan Student Union, Cal State Fullerton environmental health officer Justine Baldacci went through the usual rounds of checking food storage, toxic-substance storage, employee hygiene, overall cleanliness of the location and food temperatures.

During the inspection, the chicken sandwiches measured at 45 degrees Fahrenheit, which is above the proper cooling temperature of 41 degrees Fahrenheit, due to sunlight beaming through the windows of the TSU directly onto the food.

Two points were lost for the food temperature violation and another five points for other violations, bringing its overall score to 93 out of 100, earning an A grade.

Each of the 12 campus restaurants, which includes the Gastronome, Starbucks, Carl’s Jr., LH Express, Nutwood Cafe and TSU food court received an A on their most recent inspections between December and March.

“To get an A, it’s one of those things where it’s like studying; you just have to be really disciplined and stay on top of it,” said Lynch. “It’s really a combined effort of the manager, supervisors and students.”

Three restaurants received perfect scores on their most recent February inspections: Baja Fresh, Juice It Up! in the TSU and LH Express. LH Express received a hot water violation but it was corrected on site and no points were deducted.

Fresh Kitchen and the Starbucks in Mihaylo Hall also received the lowest points of campus restaurants with a grade of 93 points during their recent inspections between February and March.

Fresh Kitchen’s violations included:

• Tomatoes and peppers were measured at 45 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • A metal basket with chipped paint was being used to store apples.
  • Poor lighting due to nonfunctioning light bulbs.

The Mihaylo Hall Starbucks violations included:

• Hot water at the warewashing sink was measured at 116 degrees Fahrenheit, which is below the required 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Blender pitchers were next to cleaning chemicals.
  • A light bulb in a fridge was nonoperational.

The rest of the restaurants received scores ranging from 95 to 99 points.

CSUF invites people to report concerns or complaints about restaurants or any other facilities on campus by reporting it to Environmental Health and Safety on its website.

This is a photo of a stress-relieving therapy dog that was at WellFest.

CSUF Health Services hosts second annual WellFest to meet staff, educate and raise awareness

Health Services hosted their second WellFest at the CSUF Student Wellness Center, where students relieved stress by petting certified

This is a photo of two of the three couples who participated in the panel.

Couples from Osher Lifelong Learning Institute share the secret to long-lasting love

The Diversity Initiatives and Resource Center and Osher Lifelong Learning Institute hosted a Valentine’s Day-themed couples panel with three

Gil Cisneros speaking with Fullerton residents

Representative Gil Cisneros hosts open house at Fullerton home office

Congressman Gil Cisneros, the Democrat representative of the 39th District opened his first home office in Fullerton this past