On-campus dining options at CSUF don’t have perfect health inspection scores

(Anita Huor / Daily Titan)

Campus vending machines are inspected once a year by CSUF safety and health officers. On Aug. 16, 2017, the eight coffee and food vending machines received A grades.

Grades are assigned based on point total for the inspection. The machines are marked down on the inspection report if their interiors and exteriors are not sanitary and clean. No machines lost points for lack of cleanliness.

However, on April 19 and May 3, 2018, Daily Titan reporters examined six coffee machines and found the dispensing areas to be unclean, with residue on the walls of the machine and dispense area.

Tony Lynch, director of campus dining, said the machines are cleaned when they are being serviced, depending on use, throughout the week by the vending providers.

Coffee spills happen all the time. A person can spill it, it just needs to be cleaned up right away. It’s not necessarily the result of it not being cleaned, it probably happened that day or the day before,” Lynch said.  

CSUF food facility inspection reports

On a Feb. 2 inspection at the Starbucks inside the Titan Student Union, Cal State Fullerton environmental health officer Justine Baldacci went through the usual rounds of checking food storage, toxic-substance storage, employee hygiene, overall cleanliness of the location and food temperatures.

During the inspection, the chicken sandwiches measured at 45 degrees Fahrenheit, which is above the proper cooling temperature of 41 degrees Fahrenheit, due to sunlight beaming through the windows of the TSU directly onto the food.

Two points were lost for the food temperature violation and another five points for other violations, bringing its overall score to 93 out of 100, earning an A grade.

Each of the 12 campus restaurants, which includes the Gastronome, Starbucks, Carl’s Jr., LH Express, Nutwood Cafe and TSU food court received an A on their most recent inspections between December and March.

“To get an A, it’s one of those things where it’s like studying; you just have to be really disciplined and stay on top of it,” said Lynch. “It’s really a combined effort of the manager, supervisors and students.”

Three restaurants received perfect scores on their most recent February inspections: Baja Fresh, Juice It Up! in the TSU and LH Express. LH Express received a hot water violation but it was corrected on site and no points were deducted.

Fresh Kitchen and the Starbucks in Mihaylo Hall also received the lowest points of campus restaurants with a grade of 93 points during their recent inspections between February and March.

Fresh Kitchen’s violations included:

• Tomatoes and peppers were measured at 45 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • A metal basket with chipped paint was being used to store apples.
  • Poor lighting due to nonfunctioning light bulbs.

The Mihaylo Hall Starbucks violations included:

• Hot water at the warewashing sink was measured at 116 degrees Fahrenheit, which is below the required 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Blender pitchers were next to cleaning chemicals.
  • A light bulb in a fridge was nonoperational.

The rest of the restaurants received scores ranging from 95 to 99 points.

CSUF invites people to report concerns or complaints about restaurants or any other facilities on campus by reporting it to Environmental Health and Safety on its website.

Freshman forward Aimee Book attempts a free throw at the line during CSUF women's basketball overtime loss against Santa Clara University.

CSUF women’s basketball defeated in close game against Santa Clara University

CSUF women’s basketball looked set to capture its third win of the season on Monday night against the Santa

CSUF athletics logo

CSUF athletics signed 17 athletes on National Letter of Intent Day

This story was updated on Nov. 20 at 5:37 p.m. to include the latest signing.  CSUF athletics officially entered the

Khalil Ahmad rests with his hands on his knees on the sidelines during CSUF men's basketball game against UC Irvine on Feb. 3.

Khalil Ahmad named Big West player of the week for CSUF men’s basketball

Khalil Ahmad recieved Big West player of the week honors for his performance during the Myrtle Beach Invitational for