Morgan Bertsch, Connie Caliz and Kellan Wilson return to CSUF women’s soccer as members of the coaching staff

In Sports, Women's Soccer
Kellan Wilson and Morgan Bertsch sitting
(Riley McDougall / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton women’s soccer added three familiar faces to their coaching staff this offseason. Former volunteer coach Kellan Wilson and 2018 graduates Morgan Bertsch and Connie Caliz returned to the program as assistant coach, undergrad assistant coach and team manager, respectively.

Wilson was hired as an assistant coach by head coach Demian Brown in January. He previously spent four years with CSUF from 2012-2015. During that four-year span, Fullerton won three Big West championships and three Big West Tournament championships.

He departed from Cal State Fullerton to return to his alma mater Saint Mary’s College of California, as the assistant coach for the women’s soccer team. Despite enjoying his time back at St. Mary’s, Wilson was set on returning to Fullerton.

“It’s a tremendous honor to be back at Cal State Fullerton. I enjoyed my last couple years away and learned a lot, but the end goal was to always be back here as a Titan.” Wilson said.

Wilson will work primarily with the team’s defenders. During his first stint with CSUF he spent time with the goalkeepers, Bertsch being one of them.

As a senior last season, Bertsch started all 22 games for the Titans. She was named Big West Co-Goalkeeper of the Year and Big West Tournament MVP.

As a senior, Bertsch made it a point to be a leader to the underclassmen.

“You want to teach everyone the culture. We have our saying: do it for past, present and future,” Bertsch said.

However, Bertsch did have some concerns about the players listening to her because she was on the team last season.

“I was a little nervous, like ‘Oh are they going to want to listen to me? I just graduated and they’re trying to build their new legacy,’ but they’ve been great,” Bertsch said.

As for Caliz, she was a staple for the Titans last season, playing in all 22 games and starting in 21 of them. She will join Fullerton as the team manager.

Her duties as team manager vary from delivering ticket information to meeting with recruits. She will also work with members of the team who do not travel.

Caliz’s goal is to be a big help for the team off the field.

“I hope that I can be a part of that aspect, not just the business part but also like a mentor on everything else,” Caliz said.

Similar to Bertsch, Caliz decided to return because of the culture the team had set, her love for Fullerton and the past, present and future of the women’s soccer team. Wilson believes having both Bertsch and Caliz around the team will continue the culture that was set before.

“It’s phenomenal. Their leadership on the field is helping them to be great leaders off the field,” Wilson said.

The on-field results aren’t the only important thing to Wilson. Watching his players grow on and off the field means just as much to him.

“We’re not only in the business of coaching soccer players. We’re here to help these young women grow as women and student athletes,” Wilson said.

That same mindset has been carried down to Bertsch and Caliz. A year ago, both women were in the same place as their players are now. They have embraced the team motto and will continue to lead the Titans of the past, present and future.

Illustration of student buying food

California proposing financial aid to food insecure students

The number of food-insecure students has been rising across college campuses throughout the nation due to rising tuition costs

Kanye West raps while three sillhouettes of women labeled with slang look over their shoulder in scorn.

Rappers Kanye West and the late XXXTentacion promote misogyny

It’s a troubling reality that most rappers still have a thriving career. From their seemingly flagrant misogynistic behaviors to

A graphic showing the steps to take in the event of an active shooter

Active shooter drills at Cal State Fullerton

September is National Preparedness Month at Cal State Fullerton, which encompasses everything from fire, earthquake, hurricane and active shooter