Recently elected Associated Students leaders discuss goals for new year

In 2018 Welcome Titans Guide, News
ASI leaders
(Anita Huor/ Daily Titan)

Last spring, the student body of Cal State Fullerton recently elected Associated Students leaders to serve as head of student government and to represent all Titans for the 2018-19 academic year.

Associated Students is the CSUF student government, led by its president and vice president and then bolstered by the Titan Student Centers Board of Trustees and the Board of Directors, a governing body that consists of 16 representatives

The newly appointed president and CEO Josh Borjas said students can shape their time spent on campus by voicing their concerns and opinions to the elected leaders.

“The more engaged people are in their student government, the (more) we will be able to directly impact their campus experience,” Borjas said.

The new president will be in charge of several things in the coming academic year, including supporting the executive senate but primarily being the “point of contact for any student voice,” said Borjas.

Ana Aldazabal, the Associated Students vice president, has a similar role to the president’s. One of her goals in her new position is to focus on communication with students, especially those who have been historically marginalized.

Being a transfer student herself, Aldazabal said she understands the struggle of trying to get involved on campus.

“I know that ASI can be very intimidating at times,” Aldazabal said. “We’re trying to spread the message that we’re here to serve you. Please ask questions, hold us accountable.”

Additionally, Aldazabal said she is in charge of Associated Student scholarships for this academic year. The twelve scholarships, which range from $500 to $1,000, are open to students in any major. The scholarships open on the first day of the semester and close on October 9.

Associated Students also consists of the Titan Student Centers Board of Trustees. Riley Duncan, chair of the board of trustees , is in charge of all the buildings that Associated Students own which include the Titan Recreation Center, the Titan Student Union and the Irvine Campus’ fitness center and student lounge.

Duncan and his team are responsible for approving significant changes in buildings like the expansion of the Titan Student Union. The board chair said his goal for the year is to look into environmental sustainability in the Associated Students’ buildings.

“I know a lot of campuses are making a push for their buildings to become a little more eco-friendly,” Duncan said. “I really want to make sure that all of our services are a lot more environmentally conscious.”

The board of directors are the highest body in the student government, said Tristan Torres, the board of directors chair. In his position, Torres is in charge of setting the agenda, approving the board of trustees plans, running the board of director meetings and acting as the liaison between the board, campus administration and students. Like the other leaders, Torres said he wants to focus on open communication.

“I want to have a lot of discussion at board because, with this current political climate, there are a lot of polarized opinions and views. I want to make sure that we are talking things out at board and we are not ignoring issues,” Torres said.

The executive team will work on following through with policies and commissions passed in the spring, including the social justice commission resolution. Borjas said the details are still being worked out. The original resolution proposed that the Associated Students’ leaders would receive training on college activism and encourage student campaigns for historically marginalized communities.

The executives are working on putting a diverse cabinet together that would help the leaders navigate those conversations and better represent those communities, said Aldazabal.

“I want to really try to (reach) our campus community so that people can understand why things are happening around campus,” Aldazabal said. “Talking to those students and making sure that we are accurately representing the 40,000 diverse students that we have at Cal State Fullerton.”

Briggetta Pierrot contributed to this article.

(Anita Huor/ Daily Titan)

Fullerton residents at a city council meeting

Fullerton residents voice concerns over CSUF fraternity house

Residents voiced their concerns to the Fullerton city council on Tuesday about living near a CSUF fraternity house. Many

Samantha Huerta exercises on a bench her feet on the ground and elbows on the bench with CSUF cross country.

Samantha Huerta represents CSUF cross country, named player of the week

Samantha Huerta, a cross-country runner in her third year at Cal State Fullerton, was named women’s cross-country athlete of

Photo Illustration showing a housing development.

Proposition 1 could authorize bonds to fund housing

Proposition 1, known as the Housing Programs and Veterans’ Loan Bond, would authorize bonds to fund housing assistance programs,