Gender-inclusive restrooms accommodate all Titans

In 2018 Sex Issue, Top Stories
A door that shows the new symbol for the all-gender restrooms that are posted on 30 restrooms on campus.
(Riley McDougall/ Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton has added additional gender-inclusive restrooms across campus that can be recognized by the symbol of a white triangle within a blue circle.

The initial expansion of the all-inclusive restrooms began when Gov. Jerry Brown signed Assembly bill No. 1732 on Sept. 29 2016, said David Forgues, CSUF vice president of Human Resources, Diversity and Inclusion.

The bill required all single-user toilet facilities in any business establishment, place of public accommodation or government agency to be identified as all-gender toilet facilities starting March 1, 2017, according to the bill’s text.

CSUF began by converting single-stall restrooms to accommodate all Titans, making them all-gender inclusive, Forgues said.

While CSUF had eight all-gender restrooms in 2016, the campus now has a total of 30, according to Cecil Chik, engagement and inclusion specialist for the Diversity, Inclusion and Equity Programs.

The placements of the all-inclusive restrooms depend on which buildings are being built or newly remodeled, and Forgues said buildings that still need remodeling are waiting on funding

“Until we are able to find the funding to be able to do it, we’re not going to make a whole lot of progress,” Forgues said. “We don’t have a lot of money coming to us from the state.”

In a 2016 study, 46 percent of transgender and gender nonconforming youth reported experiencing problems using public bathrooms, according to the National Center for Biotechnology Information and the U.S. National Library of Medicine.

In addition, 56 percent of the study’s participants reported they felt unsafe using public bathrooms.

“If someone does not ‘pass’ very well they could be victims or susceptible to any sort of hate crime or any sort of discrimination while using the restroom,” said Vincent Vigil, interim director for Diversity Initiatives and Resource Centers.

The CSUF’s LGBTQ Resource Center website states “a choice that is automatic for cisgender people requires careful thought and consideration for (Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming) folx, as they may experience prejudice inside these restrooms for their perceived use of the ‘wrong’ restroom.”

Vigil described “passing” as a term that is used in the transgender community in terms of passing as the gender that they felt they were born to be.

A crime alert concerning one gender-neutral restroom in the Pollak Library was released by the University Police in September. The alert said a female student was using a restroom stall when she looked up and saw a phone with the camera facing her.

“They’ve actually done a great job of building those from the floor to the ceiling and that was something that was very important in (gender-neutral) restrooms to be able to have completely private stalls,” said Captain Scot Willey of the University Police department.

Willey said the stalls are completely private, but the phone was able to slide through a small crack around the lights in the restroom.

“Our officers contacted facilities at the library and they are immediately jumping onto it to try to make sure that it doesn’t happen again. It will be taken care of,” Willey said.

Facilities was not available for comment.

Chik said the all-inclusive restrooms are a way of accommodating all members of the CSUF community.

“It creates an opportunity for people who need this resource to know that we stand behind them, and for people who have no idea what this means, we create an opportunity for education,” Chik said.

Some of the all-gender restrooms on campus are multipurpose. Certain locations also serve as a changing room for parents with infants and some are handicap-accessible, Vigil said.

“I think that the restrooms are important to make certain that all of our Titans feel included on campus and feel like they have a safe space and can use the restroom in peace,” Vigil said.

Two men in the Quad hoisting their banner of Jesus Saves from Hell.

Conflict erupts over Jesus Saves from Hell banner in the Quad

A crowd of students congregated in the Quad to protest two men that came on campus with a banner

The opening page of the GOP Envoy app

Republicans and Democrats are using phone apps to recruit

Three years ago CNN proclaimed the smartphone to be the “new political battleground” in America. Now, congressional candidates in

Cal State Fullerton students arrested for stealing golf cart

A group of Cal State Fullerton students stole an athletics department golf cart from the Kinesiology and Health Science