In News
(Alyssa Lopez/ Daily Titan)

The ASI board of directors approved the 2017-18 Associated Students’ audit report prepared by the Guzman and Gray Audit Firm at Tuesday’s board meeting.

Issues were reported by Associated Students’ employees about the retirement pension and post-retirement medical insurances that have been provided to them, said Dave Edwards, Associate Students’ executive director.

Patrick Guzman, Guzman and Gray Audit Firm representative, told the board their pensions were safe.

“This is the liability that has been projected out over the years. It’s very large and it’s getting bigger all the time,” Guzman said. “So far yours is under control.”

An audit report highlights the financial position of an organization by analyzing its liabilities and assets.

Mark Stohs, Cal State Fullerton professor of finance, said liabilities, in a financial sense, are obligations owed to people or institutions who have provided funds or services to a company — in this case, the pension owed to retirees.  

For the board to control liability Guzman recommended that Associated Students not offer the new employees the pension as a separate benefit because it can freeze that benefit for other employees.

Guzman’s firm has highlighted pensions as a liability in past years. The audit firm told Associated Students it was an ongoing expense “you need to get in front of,” Edwards said.

“Smartly, this organization started funding it decades ago,” Edwards said.

Two men in the Quad hoisting their banner of Jesus Saves from Hell.

Conflict erupts over Jesus Saves from Hell banner in the Quad

A crowd of students congregated in the Quad to protest two men that came on campus with a banner

The opening page of the GOP Envoy app

Republicans and Democrats are using phone apps to recruit

Three years ago CNN proclaimed the smartphone to be the “new political battleground” in America. Now, congressional candidates in

Cal State Fullerton students arrested for stealing golf cart

A group of Cal State Fullerton students stole an athletics department golf cart from the Kinesiology and Health Science