Cal State Fullerton volleyball finishes Rebel Challenge without a win

In Sports, Women's Volleyball
Titan volleyball players cheer on their teammates who are on the court.
(Joshua Arief / Daily Titan File Photo)

The record-setting start for the Cal State Fullerton volleyball season came to an end this weekend as it dropped all three games at the Rebel Challenge in Las Vegas.

The Titans entered the weekend with the highest winning record of 6-1 in the Big West conference, and are now tied for third place with Long Beach State.

Fullerton took Eastern Kentucky University to five sets in the first game of the tournament. After dropping the first two sets, the Titans forced a fifth set with six and five-point wins in the third and fourth set.

However, they came up short in the final set, 15-13. The Titans gave up six points by attacking errors, four of which were made by outside hitter Maddie Schneider.

Those two sets were the only victories CSUF saw in Las Vegas.

By the final game of the tournament, Fullerton was swept by Fordham University. The Titans’ hitters struggled in the match, committing 26 errors for a 0.125 overall hitting percentage.

Outside hitter Felicia Marshall and right-side hitter Tyler Fezzey led the Titans with nine kills a piece, while setter Courtney Mueller added 22 assists.

CSUF was also swept by host school University of Nevada, Las Vegas. The Titans could not create points at the end of sets, but never lost a set by more than five points.

Schneider (14) and Marshall (9) dominated on the outside, accounting for 23 of Fullerton’s 33 kills.

Throughout the entire tournament, CSUF struggled to limit hitting errors. Over the first 10 matches of the season, the Titans hit 0.217.

In Las Vegas, they recorded 80 over their three matches, leading to a 0.130 hitting percentage for the team.

Fullerton will play its first home games since August 25 in the Titan Tournament. It will host University of San Francisco on Friday Sep. 14 and University of Idaho on the 15th.