Cal State Fullerton volleyball will host University of San Francisco and University of Idaho

In Sports, Women's Volleyball
Felicia Marshall swings over block
(Joshua Arief Halim / Daily Titan File Photo)

Cal State Fullerton volleyball will host the Titan Tournament this weekend, playing University of San Francisco Friday, Sept. 14 and University of Idaho Saturday, Sept. 15.

The Titans’ last three games were played in the Rebel Challenge and they lost all three.

Setter Courtney Mueller said the five-set loss to Eastern Kentucky set the tone for the rest of the weekend.

“We were very panicked. I don’t think we believed in ourselves as much as we have in the past six games. Our errors contributed to our low self-esteem,” Mueller said.

Mueller said Fullerton plays better when the team is leading than when it’s trailing. In an attempt to be consistent, she said the coaching staff has integrated more game scenarios in practice where the team is trailing by five or more points to teach them to play from behind.

CSUF committed 80 hitting errors in its three-game stretch in Las Vegas. Mueller said the experience will act as a teaching point for the team.

“We have to be more comfortable being down because we are a shorter team so we will get blocked against teams that have 6 feet 4 inch or 6 feet 5 inch-tall players. We have to be okay with making errors and bouncing back, but last weekend we let that get to us too much,” Mueller said.

This mindset may benefit the Titans this weekend because San Francisco has one 6-foot-4-inch player and Idaho has two.

The Idaho Vandals own a 5-4 record but have lost two of their last three games. Earlier in the season, they played Big West conference opponent Cal State Northridge and beat the Matadors in five sets.

That game is the Vandals only road victory this season.

San Francisco sits at 4-4 but has won its last two games. The Dons have struggled at the service line as they have committed 68 errors in their eight games while only recording 44 aces.

Fullerton recorded 54 errors with two more games played and has 55 aces.

CSUF will take on Idaho at 7 p.m. on Friday and San Francisco at 2 p.m. on Saturday.