California remains a sanctuary state

In News
A map of sanctuary cities in California
(Christina Acedo/ Daily Titan)

On Aug. 1 the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals decision found that President Donald Trump’s January 2017 executive order was unconstitutional. The decision stated that the legislative branch of Congress has the exclusive spending power to create conditions for federal grants, not the executive branch, according to the court document.

The 2017 executive order withheld federal funds from sanctuary cities that did not cooperate with federal authorities like U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Cities in Orange County were divided on how to respond to Trump’s executive order that would sue the state over its sanctuary city laws, which went into effect Oct. 5, 2017 when Gov. Jerry Brown approved SB-54. Several cities, such as Newport Beach, Huntington Beach and Orange, sided with the president, while many others declined to take a stance. Santa Ana decided in favor of being a sanctuary city.

The court’s decision in San Francisco v. Trump challenged the president’s executive order stating:

“The president’s attempt to exercise authority through a line-item veto was deemed unconstitutional as antithetical to that ‘finely wrought’ legislative process committed to Congress by the Constitution,” according to the court document.

Blake Hardnett, fourth-year Cal State Fullerton business major, said the government has mistakenly focused on immigration as an issue contributing to a lack of jobs instead of Trump’s current economic policies, which have affected the job sector most.

Hardnett said he defends immigrants who seek sanctuary cities.

“I would say America is a place that people have always come to and I think that we should stand by that. I think we’ve always accepted immigrants, so we should keep on accepting immigrants,” Hardnett said.

The Center for Immigration Studies website provides a map of cities, counties and states that identify as having sanctuary-like policies.

(List of sanctuary cities and counties within California) (updated 5/30/18)

Counties:

Sonoma County (May 2014)

Napa County (June 2014)

Sacramento County (May 2014)

San Francisco County (May 2014)

Contra Costa County (May 2014)

San Mateo County (May 2014)

Alameda County (May 2014)

Santa Clara County (October 2011)

Santa Cruz County (May 2014)

Monterey County (May 2014)

San Bernardino County (May 2014)

Los Angeles County (June 2014)

Riverside County (May 2014)

San Diego County (May 2014)

Cities:

Berkeley(October 2012)

Oakland (January 2018)

Fremont (March 2017)

Santa Ana (December 2016)

Watsonville (April 2017)

Tulare (February 2017)

Although the city of Fullerton takes no official stance on these policies, CSUF provides assistance to undocumented students at the Titan Dreamers Resource Center. This program has several resources, such as counseling, referrals to legal experts and financial aid opportunities for students in need, according to the Titan Dreamers Resource Center website.

Coordinator Martha Zavala Perez of the Titan Dreamers Resource Center said she manages day-to-day activities at the center and offers in-person support to students looking for advice on how to navigate legal issues.

She said the goal of the Titan Dreamers Resource Center is “…for undocumented students on campus to know that they are supported and valued here.”

Perez said legal assistance is mostly provided off campus, as the resource center’s staff does not include attorneys. However, they do offer referrals for reputable organizations and professionals that are able to assist students and sometimes they are able to bring them to  campus free of charge for students, Perez said.

“One of our big events is an immigration legal clinic, where we bring the resources on campus so that undocumented students can ask those questions to an expert,” Perez said.

In the fall of 2016, CSU Chancellor Timothy P. White released and reaffirmed a memo, stating the CSU system will support its undocumented students.

“We stand by our students and when you are here you are a Titan first,” Perez said.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel / Courtesy of Amazon Studios

Review: “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” reaches new heights

The social conservatism in New York during the 1950s only makes Miriam “Midge” Maisel much more marvelous as she

(Danielle Evangelista / Daily Titan)

NCAA disapproves of Marijuana usage for rehabilitation purposes

For student-athletes in college, the ability to use marijuana as a way to help heal themselves during the course

Concept art for new virtual reality experience coming to College of the Arts.

College of the Arts plans to convert a student hotspot into Virtual Reality room

The Department of Visual Arts cell block nestled between animation classrooms 185 and 189 in building E has not