The return of comedian Louis C.K. must not be supported

Louis C.K. on stage, under spotlight, with nobody in the audience
(Yongyi Chen / Daily Titan)

Comedian Louis C.K.’s surprise return to the stage doesn’t deserve the applause it received.  

Louis C.K admitted to accusations of sexual misconduct by numerous women last November  after the New York Times released a report in which different women described the comedian’s inappropriate behavior.

His shameful past behavior needs to be publicized so he’s forced to deal with the consequences of his actions and others in the entertainment industry realize that they can’t get away with everything. Celebrities seem to expect their audience to forgive and forget, and unfortunately that appears to be the case more often than not.

Louis C.K. didn’t just make a mistake once; he made the same mistake multiple times.

In one of these instances, comedy duo Dana Min Goodman and Julia Wolov told the New York Times that Louis C.K. invited them to hang out in his hotel room for a drink before bed. The women said once they were in the room he asked them if he could take out his penis, which they thought was a joke, but he actually did it.

The situation would have been different if everyone involved agreed to engage in sexual behavior, but simply inviting a woman or women to hang out does not mean that they agree to do anything sexual.

Now that women have spoken up, he has no choice but to admit what he did. It was his only option in maintaining somewhat of a career.

Louis C.K. might have gained a little more sympathy had he apologized to those women, but he didn’t. He didn’t seem to even consider what any woman might have felt in that situation, especially female comedians who may have respected him.

After admitting to the accusations, Louis C.K. disappeared from the spotlight for about nine months. His appearance at the Comedy Cellar last month was his first time being back on stage since then. Some women were left feeling uneasy about it.

Comedian Rebecca Corry wrote a column for Vulture  in which she talked about what she’s experienced since accusing Louis C.K. of sexual assault.

In the column she wrote, “The day Louis C.K. asked to masturbate in front of me on the set of the TV show we were shooting, I was put on an unspoken ‘list’ I never asked or wanted to be on. And being on that list has not made my work as a writer, actress, and comedian any easier.”

Louis C.K. can eventually be forgiven, but that forgiveness can only come from the women he’s sexually harassed. Additionally, the situation should not be forgotten, but rather used as an example of what won’t be swept under the rug.

After everything, losing his career seems like a justified consequence.

Comedian Kathy Griffin took to Twitter Aug. 28 to comment on how easy it was for him to return back into the business, tweeting, “Gosh, does it payoff to be in the boys club..the white boys club.”

While his decision to perform on stage once again is something he can choose to do, his audience can also choose to not support his career. This is the response he deserves.