CSUF releases Annual Security Report under Clery Act showing 2017 crime rates

Correction: This story was changed at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, September 18 to correct the inaccurate data percentages involving drug and liquor arrests and referrals. It has been replaced with the raw data. The graphic included with this story inaccurately presented this data and has been removed.

Cal State Fullerton and several other local CSUs have released their 2017 Annual Security Report as mandated by the Clery Act, which requires universities to publish on-campus crime statistics.

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, was originally enacted as Title II of the Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act of 1990. It requires all federally-funded colleges and universities to release an annual security report to the public by Oct. 1.

The report tracks a wide variety of felonies and misdemeanors, including crime happening on campus, campus-owned properties, campus-related properties such as fraternity and sorority houses and public property near campuses.

The 61-page security report is a result of about nine months of data collection and analysis, said John Brockie, the University Police Department support services captain.

The crime report includes descriptions of security awareness programs offered to all incoming students, like Not Anymore, a program that provides students with information on sexual assault resources. The report also contains details about what constitutes each crime and how to report criminal activity.

The report is not assembled exclusively by University Police, but is part of a campus-wide effort spearheaded by Hallie Hunt, the dean of students, Brockie said.

This comes as a result of a March 2017 executive order from the CSU chancellor, which says the Clery director for the annual security report can no longer be from someone serving within the police department, Brockie said.

While most crime rates dropped or remained stagnant, there were a few that rose over the last year. Stalking cases on campus have more than doubled since 2015, which saw seven reported incidents. In 2017, there were 19 reported incidents of stalking, with two of the cases occurring in the residence halls, according to the crime report.

The report defined stalking as: “Engaging in a repeated Course of Conduct directed at a specific person that would cause a Reasonable Person to fear for their own or others’ safety, or to suffer Substantial Emotional Distress.”

Lower rates of drug and alcohol referrals were also reported in 2017 compared to the two previous years, according to statistics in the report.

In 2016, there were 170 liquor law referrals and 100 drug law referrals. In 2017, there were 76 liquor law referrals and 27 drug law referrals.

A referral means that the student is referred to the student affairs office for any disciplinary action that may follow instead of receiving any type of criminal citation. Brockie said the arresting officer has the right to make the call.

“Police officers have discretion to either give them a criminal citation, or they can just refer them to the campus for campus conduct,” Brockie said.

Brockie said that while the decrease in drug referrals is most likely due to the legalization of marijuana, the department did not identify a specific reason for the drop in alcohol referrals and arrests.

Twenty-seven cases of burglary were reported on campus in 2016, more than double from 2015. There were only seven burglaries reported in 2017.

In an opening letter from the report, Raymund Aguirre, CSUF chief of police, said, “prevention is the best cure for crime.”

“We strive to maintain and promote a campus environment conducive to academic achievement,” Aguirre said in the report. “We strongly believe in the principles of community policing, working with our community partners and problem solving to enhance public safety, and improve the quality of life for everyone who works, studies or visits this wonderful campus.”

Two men in the Quad hoisting their banner of Jesus Saves from Hell.

Conflict erupts over Jesus Saves from Hell banner in the Quad

A crowd of students congregated in the Quad to protest two men that came on campus with a banner

The opening page of the GOP Envoy app

Republicans and Democrats are using phone apps to recruit

Three years ago CNN proclaimed the smartphone to be the “new political battleground” in America. Now, congressional candidates in

Cal State Fullerton students arrested for stealing golf cart

A group of Cal State Fullerton students stole an athletics department golf cart from the Kinesiology and Health Science