CSUF Discoverfest showcases a myriad of diverse student organizations

In Features, Lifestyle
Sister Talk and the South Pacific Islander Cultural Association recruit members.
(Riley McDougall / Daily Titan)

As music blared through the Power 106 (KPWR-FM) speakers and tents took over the quad, CSUF Discoverfest worked to connect over 40,000 students, encouraging them to get involved and thrive on campus.

The event took place on Wednesday and Thursday, allowing students to hop from booth to booth to gather information on clubs and organizations at Cal State Fullerton.

Clubs like Turning Point captured the attention of students passing by the booths.

The club discusses economic issues and extends the constitutional rights of free speech. Club president Tristan Krogius says he likes to stray away from social issues due to its inherent controversy.

“We like to really get into the fundamental basics of the ideology that we’re proclaiming, which is free market capitalism. We need people to understand,” Krogius said.

Krogius said his desire to start a Turning Point chapter this semester on campus began when he took an American studies course. He said it was a revisionist history course and said the sole textbook for the class was a left-wing rewrite of American history. His goal was to foster freedom of speech and allow other students to speak up for what they believe in.

“There’s been atrocities, we’ve committed them. Every government around the world has, but for teachers to be tearing down American values because of what certain administrations have done in the past is not something I’m here to learn. I’m here to get something student-led to kind of attack the other side of the debacle,” Krogius said.

In addition to freedom of speech, clubs on campus also focus on networking, leadership skills and giving back to the community.

Jorge “Jay” Ramos, president of the Latino Business Association, said those are his three main goals, along with ensuring all graduating seniors secure job offers and all juniors internship at positions that will help them succeed.

He said that building a community and offering support is what will push minorities forward and provide first-generation students with a positive college experience.

“I’m so passionate about (the club) because I really care about not only the Latino community, but humanity as a whole. There’s probably someone at the Black Student Union or at the other multicultural clubs with the same mission. We’re all uplifting all our races together, but we all have open minds and that in turn can help all humanity,” Ramos said.

Divine Servants is another club striving to provide support to minority groups on campus.

Currently consisting of about ten members, the club meets to study bible passages and have open discussions about how the passages relate to their lives. Originally formed to create a safe space, the members often talk about issues that people of color may be going through from a faith-based perspective.

“I started the group because I wanted to grow more in my faith but also help others grow in their faith as well,” said Caleb Mack, president of Divine Servants.

Although the goal of most clubs was to attract the attention of potential new members, it also served as a good way to inform students of the things they can do to enhance their college experience.

“This is just more of a fun way to get involved. It’s more inviting, I’d say,” transfer student Austin Reilly said.

Guests hug each other at the memorial service for Augie Garrido on Nov. 9.

CSUF honors the Titans baseball head coach Augie Garrido

CSUF baseball players, coaches, alumni and members of the CSUF athletic department commemorated the life of Augie Garrido, a

CSUF volleyball middle blocker Summer Kerins celebrates senior night with her family and head coach Ashley Preston when the Titans faced the Cal Baptist Lancers.

CSUF volleyball salvages one set against Cal Baptist on senior night

CSUF volleyball dropped its final home match of the season 3-1 to Cal Baptist University on Tuesday night, giving

The ‘Mayans M.C.’ takes ‘Sons of Anarchy’ to a new level

The “Mayans M.C.” season finale gave fans an answer to the season’s biggest mystery, but brings more unanswered questions