CSUF men’s soccer still winless after loss to University of New Mexico

In Men's Soccer, Sports
Zico Bailey slides for the ball against the University of New Mexico.
(Joshua Arief Halim / Daily Titan)

The CSUF men’s soccer team was handed its first loss of the season as the University of New Mexico Lobos defeated the Titans by a final score of 5-1.

The Lobos attempted 10 shots, seven of them on goal. The Titans did get their opportunities, recording ten shots, with six of them being on goal.

Despite being a frustrating game, head coach George Kuntz was not shy about sharing his feelings on the Titans’ performance.

“It’s a disappointment, it’s an embarrassment,” Kuntz said.

The Titans were never able to play their own game for a majority of the match, which resulted in three of New Mexico’s five goals coming on the counterattack.

I can’t say the guys gave up, but we gave in. We gave into their style, instead of imposing our style,” Kuntz said.

For the third consecutive game, the Titans found themselves playing from behind. New Mexico struck first on a goal in the 13th minute by forward Nick Taylor.

Fullerton evened up the score six minutes later when forward Samuel Goni attempted a cross, scoring his first goal of the season.

The Titans caught a break in the 34th minute when a shot by Omar Grey went over the head of Titan goalie Paul-Andre Guerin and hit the crossbar.

At the end of the first half, the two teams remained evened up at one goal a piece. The Titans attempted four shots with three of them being shots on goal. New Mexico attempted five shots with two of them being on goal.

CSUF started the second half on the attack, but shortly after the start of the second half, the Lobos added a goal from forward Matt Puig in the 50th minute.

The Lobos added a third goal four minutes later. Antoine Vial found the back of the net after a save by Guerin bounced right to Vial where he had an empty net waiting for him.

Trailing 3-1, the Titans’ offensive attacks were being swallowed up by the Lobos’ defense. In the 69th minute, the Titans’ frustrations resulted in the first yellow card of the game. Titans forward Bass Sarr was given a yellow after a late tackle, and just seconds later Goni was also given a yellow card.

In the 73rd minute, the Lobos delivered the dagger: Nick Taylor added his second goal of the game on a counter attack to make it a 4-1 game.

A minute later, the Titans had a chance to chip away at the lead, but a shot by midfielder Robert Coronado went off the left post after getting passed the reach of a diving Ford Parker.

The Lobos continued to keep the Titans on their toes as Omar Grey added another goal in the 82nd minute to continue the blowout.

Transition was a huge problem for the Titans, something that Coronado acknowledged in the loss.

“We lacked the transition, the transition was really soft from everyone today,” Coronado said.

The Titans (0-1-2) came into the game looking for their first win of the season, but after a very forgettable performance, the Titans will continue their search for their first win of the year when they resume play Friday Sept. 7 on the road at California Baptist.

Louis C.K. on stage, under spotlight, with nobody in the audience

The return of comedian Louis C.K. must not be supported

Comedian Louis C.K.’s surprise return to the stage doesn’t deserve the applause it received.   Louis C.K admitted to accusations

red lips

‘Insatiable’ lacks integrity for covering edgy material

Netflix viewers are going to be crying tears — and not of laughter — because the streaming service has

Nic Sheff is portrayed, symbolically showing his light and dark sides through shadowing.

Review: ‘Beautiful Boy’ is sure to warm and break hearts this fall

Countless young adults feel isolated, misunderstood by the world and estranged from their families during their adolescent development. “Beautiful