CSUF women’s soccer rebounds from a loss with a 3-0 win against Fresno State on Sunday

In Sports, Women's Soccer
Defender Emilia Owen avoids an attacker against the Fresno State Bulldogs.
(Joshua Arief Halim/ Daily Titan)

After a 2-0 loss against Auburn University during Friday’s game, CSUF women’s soccer rebounded with a 3-0 win against the Fresno State Bulldogs during their Sunday match.

“Being a bit more sound defensively and being little bit tighter in the back is good for us,” said Titans head coach Demian Brown.

That stoutness defensively was a change from Friday, when the Titans took on the Auburn University Tigers. The Titans’ defense held a tight line as they allowed eight shot attempts in Friday’s game, while Fullerton had a total of 13.

But none of the Titans’ shots were able to reach the goal, and Auburn walked away with a 2-0 win by scoring goals in the 9th and 82nd minute of the match.

Despite the result, Brown left that loss hoping he would see one of his offensive players to lead the young team in their next game.

“The biggest issue that we have isn’t necessarily how we attack, it’s just that final thing and I think that all young teams struggle with it,” Brown said. “We just need someone to step up and put the team on their shoulders in that last moment.”

In the first 10 minutes of the game against the Bulldogs, Fullerton had already sent five shots at Fresno, while the Bulldogs had failed to tally one. Their sixth shot found the net, with Nano Oronoz scoring her team-high fourth goal of the season after a pass from Atlanta Primus gave the chance for the breakaway in the 12th minute.

Oronoz also leads the Titans in shots with 19.

With Oronoz leading the offense and confidence now radiating from the Titans, Alyssa Shelton had the opportunity to snag the first goal in her college career.

“It’s important for us to get on the score sheet early. I think from there with the one goal behind us, it was about us going and getting the second one, the third one and the fourth one if we could,” Primus said.

The second half seemed much like the first. Fullerton continuing to dominate in shots over the Bulldogs even before Primus gave them a third goal when Oronoz returned the favor for her earlier assist with a setup of her own in the 67th minute, pushing the Titans’ lead to 3-0.

The duo continue to stun their competitors, as the two have now set up each other up for goals four times this season.

“I play what I see really, and if I pass the ball (Oronoz is) just running. It’s great we’re getting that connection going early on in the season so that when conference comes we can do our stuff there,” Primus said.

The win over the Bulldogs pushed the Titans’ to a 2-3-1 record in nonconference play, and Fullerton will begin a four-game road trip on Sept. 6 against San Jose State.