Review: The good and bad shows debuting this week

In Film & TV, Lifestyle
Tv with Modern Family, Grey's Anatomy and The Flash.

A week after the 70th annual primetime Emmy awards, where television’s best were awarded for excellence, a vast majority of shows are returning or debuting this week. It’s vital to know what to watch and when to watch it as an excuse to avoid responsibilities. Even though streaming services were the biggest winners during the Emmy’s, broadcast networks still offer enjoyable television.

Cancel your plans

“This Is Us” (Sept. 25): The most exciting moments in the second season finale were toward the end, when a teenager smashed a baseball bat into a car and flashforwards show what’s next in the upcoming season. Heartbreaks, revelations and laughs are common threads in the Emmy-nominated show, but it changes depending on who sews the threads.

Kevin Pearson (Justin Hartley) provided a surprise subplot last season with his addiction to alcohol and painkillers. Kevin’s addiction eerily mirrored his late father’s, Jack Pearson, from decades prior.

While the family-drama show includes two actors who have won Emmy’s for their roles, the third season sheds light on the actors who haven’t been recognized for their work.

In an interview with People, Milo Ventimiglia said the new season will explore Jack’s tour in the Vietnam war. The backstories of two spouses of the Big Three (the nickname for the trio of siblings on the show) will also be revealed as the show explores new storylines.

Regardless of its faults, the show is a cliffhanger that can make commercial breaks unbearable.

“Grey’s Anatomy” (Sept. 27): In its 15th season, the medical drama shows no signs of slowing down. After declining ratings for a couple seasons, “Grey’s Anatomy” is back on top.

The departure of two significant characters made room for new storylines. Those new plots shown in a season trailer quickly bundled the show’s vintage antics, such as new doctors with surprise pregnancies, and unexpected affairs.

The return of Krista Vernoff as co-showrunner advanced “Grey’s Anatomy” storyline redemption. In-depth stories and natural progressions in the last two seasons revived the show from its grave.   

A decade-and-a-half into its run seems like a blink of an eye with well-timed humor and seasoned actors.

But the culprit for the show’s revival was a focus shift to the characters who were the show’s focal point in its early success. While some characters have died along the way, fans’ love for the show lives on.

“The Simpsons” (Sept. 30): It’s not a coincidence that a cartoon with yellow characters is in its 30th season. The first episode of this season doesn’t hold back from the show’s usual dilemmas: A cover-up story about an accident goes awry when Homer Simpson accepts an offer to make a movie.

While many of the situations are impractical, the Simpsons have kept audiences entertained for decades. Its season debut doesn’t seem to be any different, especially with guest voices Gal Gadot and Jonathan Groff.

Stream it later

“The Conners” (Oct. 16): After a racist tweet by Roseanne Barr regarding a former White House aid, ABC cancelled the revival of “Roseanne.” The sitcom’s future was clear: It wasn’t returning regardless of its past large viewership. Weeks after the cancellation, ABC announced a spinoff show from the working-class family sitcom, only Barr would not be included.

Regardless if you watched the original before its cancellation, it’s worth seeing how the spinoff addresses the absence of the family matriarch.

“Modern Family” (Sept. 26): Once the epitome of sitcoms and with five consecutive Emmy wins, the show is in its final run. Its 11th season is in question. The show’s material hasn’t been fresh in years. The occasional laugh occurs but jokes fall flat and characters have lost their emotional depth. Some episodes still capture the show’s former magic but this is a program you’ll be playing in the background.

Avoid it like your ex

“The Resident” (Sept.24): Another medical drama, another show to avoid. The Fox drama ended its first season with 58 percent of critics positively reviewing the show, according to Rotten Tomatoes. In a lineup filled with medical shows, it can be easy to fly under the radar. Melodramatic doctors who think they are better than medicine can make a person wish they walked into a different hospital.

“New Amsterdam” (Sept. 25): From one network to another, more surgical masks and scalpels are never enough, apparently. NBC’s new medical show will be its second for the 2018-19 season, and it doesn’t show much promise. An ill doctor trying to heal patients can tug at the heartstrings, but exaggerated acting and over-the-top songs make this show forgettable.

CW’s superheroes – “Arrow,” “The Flash,” “Supergirl” and “Legends of Tomorrow” (starting Oct. 9 through 22): Just like its struggle on the big screen, DC Entertainment fails to captivate an audience with superhero storytelling on the small screen. Storylines cross over from one show to the next, but timelines are impossible to understand. Mediocre acting, underwhelming computerized visuals and super suits that look like they came from a local Halloween store make these shows an easy pass.