Fullerton College acquires new off-site parking lot

In Local News, News
Fullerton College's newly acquired parking lot off East Chapman Avenue
(Riley McDougall / Daily Titan)

Fullerton College has acquired a satellite parking lot approximately 1.3 miles away from the Cal State Fullerton campus. The lot is located at the intersection of East Chapman Avenue and North Raymond Avenue near the Walgreens.

On Aug. 20, Fullerton College initiated a lease agreement with the private owner of the lot for 84 months at $9,650 per month according to Lisa McPheron, the director of campus communication at Fullerton College.

From my understanding the property owner approached Fullerton College to see if we wanted to rent it. It happened to be that we did,” McPheron said.

The 140 spaces in the lot will function as overflow parking for students with Fullerton College parking permits. For the fall and spring semester at Fullerton College, permits cost $40 for cars.

Parking is an issue that Cal State Fullerton faces as well. Fullerton College currently has a student enrollment, of 22,765 students, and  a grand total of 3,001 parking spots available to students, according to McPheron.

CSUF had 39,343 students enrolled last semester, according to CSUF’s media page. There are 8,853 student parking spaces on campus. Cal State Fullerton leases the second and third floor of the EvFree Church on Bastanchury Road and Brea Boulevard according to Kristen Jasko, the director of parking and transportation services at CSUF.

Off-site parking permits for the CSUF lease lot costs $70 and a shuttle runs every 10 to 15 minutes from the church to the campus, said Jasko.

Jasko was not aware of the Fullerton College lease agreement, but said the location would not make it an ideal off-site parking lot for CSUF.

“(On) State College there’s Troy High School, there’s another high school, there’s ours and then there’s a lot of retail so there are a lot of things that create traffic congestion that may not make a shuttle route in the given time allotment,” Jasko said.

Off-site lease lots are picked by CSUF based on the duration of a back and forth trip, not by their distance from campus. The EvFree lot is a little over 2 miles away from campus but has a round trip of about seven minutes. The shuttle takes a one-way route through Bastanchury and down State College to get to campus, Jasko said.

“We don’t have the shuttle stop right in the front of campus on Nutwood because we’ve timed that. It could add upwards of eight minutes, so you’re talking sixteen minutes round trip to get anywhere and that’s without traffic congestion,” Jasko said.

McPheron said the Fullerton College lot seems to be working, as it has been filling up the first week of the semester at different times each day. The college hopes the lot will help ease  students’ parking anxiety, an issue that seems to be as old as the school itself.

“We’re entering our 105th year being a college in Fullerton. There are old minutes of the city council meetings from a 100 years ago of complaints about parking spilling into the neighborhoods,” McPheron said.

Jasko hopes to improve on the services parking and transportation offers to Titans. She also said that the multiple alternative transportation programs that CSUF offers helps to cater to a wide range of students with different transportation and parking needs.

Guests hug each other at the memorial service for Augie Garrido on Nov. 9.

CSUF honors the Titans baseball head coach Augie Garrido

CSUF baseball players, coaches, alumni and members of the CSUF athletic department commemorated the life of Augie Garrido, a

CSUF volleyball middle blocker Summer Kerins celebrates senior night with her family and head coach Ashley Preston when the Titans faced the Cal Baptist Lancers.

CSUF volleyball salvages one set against Cal Baptist on senior night

CSUF volleyball dropped its final home match of the season 3-1 to Cal Baptist University on Tuesday night, giving

The ‘Mayans M.C.’ takes ‘Sons of Anarchy’ to a new level

The “Mayans M.C.” season finale gave fans an answer to the season’s biggest mystery, but brings more unanswered questions