CSUF men’s soccer poised for victory against San Diego

In Men's Soccer, Sports
CSUF men's soccer player attacks the ball to gain possession.
(Riley McDougall / Daily Titan)

The CSUF men’s soccer team (1-1-3) takes a trip down the I-5 to take on the University of San Diego (2-2-2) tomorrow night in search of their second consecutive road victory.

Last year, the Titans hosted the Toreros in Fullerton, which resulted in a 1-1 draw. The last time the teams met was in 2016 and the Titans left with a 3-1 victory.

After starting the season with three ties and a loss, the Titans finally recorded their first win of the season with a 1-0 victory at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas on Sunday.

“We had a better attacking shape and we were absolutely better at defending. Those two things definitely helped us because when you can nick a goal in the 86th minute, it puts the other team on the ropes,” said George Kuntz, Titans head coach.

The team has scored exactly one goal in each of its five matches with four of those goals coming in the second half of its matches. Senior forward Samuel Goni leads the team with two goals, including the game-winner against University of Nevada late in the game on Sunday.

“It was a relief for me and the team. I had a couple of chances to score before and then it seemed like it was going to go to overtime again. We can use this as a starting point for moving forward.” Goni said.

Compared to last season’s results, the team has less wins in their first five games (2-3-0 start in 2017), but they have scored more goals (5 to 3) and conceded less goals (8 to 9) this year.

With six non-conference games remaining, the Titans still have time to work on things before the conference opener on Oct. 3 when they host Cal State Northridge.

We want to score goals and … defend well so we can have shutouts. That is going to be a goal for the entire season and we just hope that we can improve each and every game.” Kuntz said.

The team will return to Titan Stadium on Sunday at 5 p.m. when they host Cornell.

Illustration of student buying food

California proposing financial aid to food insecure students

The number of food-insecure students has been rising across college campuses throughout the nation due to rising tuition costs

Kanye West raps while three sillhouettes of women labeled with slang look over their shoulder in scorn.

Rappers Kanye West and the late XXXTentacion promote misogyny

It’s a troubling reality that most rappers still have a thriving career. From their seemingly flagrant misogynistic behaviors to

A graphic showing the steps to take in the event of an active shooter

Active shooter drills at Cal State Fullerton

September is National Preparedness Month at Cal State Fullerton, which encompasses everything from fire, earthquake, hurricane and active shooter