CSUF men’s soccer poised for victory against San Diego

In Men's Soccer, Sports
CSUF men's soccer player attacks the ball to gain possession.
(Riley McDougall / Daily Titan)

The CSUF men’s soccer team (1-1-3) takes a trip down the I-5 to take on the University of San Diego (2-2-2) tomorrow night in search of their second consecutive road victory.

Last year, the Titans hosted the Toreros in Fullerton, which resulted in a 1-1 draw. The last time the teams met was in 2016 and the Titans left with a 3-1 victory.

After starting the season with three ties and a loss, the Titans finally recorded their first win of the season with a 1-0 victory at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas on Sunday.

“We had a better attacking shape and we were absolutely better at defending. Those two things definitely helped us because when you can nick a goal in the 86th minute, it puts the other team on the ropes,” said George Kuntz, Titans head coach.

The team has scored exactly one goal in each of its five matches with four of those goals coming in the second half of its matches. Senior forward Samuel Goni leads the team with two goals, including the game-winner against University of Nevada late in the game on Sunday.

“It was a relief for me and the team. I had a couple of chances to score before and then it seemed like it was going to go to overtime again. We can use this as a starting point for moving forward.” Goni said.

Compared to last season’s results, the team has less wins in their first five games (2-3-0 start in 2017), but they have scored more goals (5 to 3) and conceded less goals (8 to 9) this year.

With six non-conference games remaining, the Titans still have time to work on things before the conference opener on Oct. 3 when they host Cal State Northridge.

We want to score goals and … defend well so we can have shutouts. That is going to be a goal for the entire season and we just hope that we can improve each and every game.” Kuntz said.

The team will return to Titan Stadium on Sunday at 5 p.m. when they host Cornell.

CSUF athletics logo

CSUF athletics signed 17 athletes on National Letter of Intent Day

This story was updated on Nov. 20 at 5:37 p.m. to include the latest signing.  CSUF athletics officially entered the

Khalil Ahmad rests with his hands on his knees on the sidelines during CSUF men's basketball game against UC Irvine on Feb. 3.

Khalil Ahmad named Big West player of the week for CSUF men’s basketball

Khalil Ahmad recieved Big West player of the week honors for his performance during the Myrtle Beach Invitational for