Cal State Fullerton volleyball hosts Hawaii on Saturday

In Sports, Women's Volleyball
Haley Carmo celebrating

Cal State Fullerton volleyball will play Hawaii in Titan Gym on Saturday.

On Tuesday, the Titans fell to Long Beach State in three sets at Walter Pyramid. CSUF has lost its last 14 matches, including all seven Big West conference games. The Titans have not won a set in nine consecutive games.

Early in the game, outside hitter Maddie Schneider suffered a knee injury that will hold her out of Saturday’s contest. She leads Fullerton in kills this season with 206.

The only Titan close to that kill total is outside hitter Felicia Marshall (166).

Middle blocker Haley Carmo recorded 26 kills in the last four games, the second most on the team over that span of time. She recorded a career-high eight kills at UC Davis last Saturday.

After Tuesday’s game, Carmo approached head coach Ashley Preston and asked if she could play outside hitter. Moving Carmo to the outside would provide a look for the Titans that has not been displayed despite the numerous lineup permutations Preston has rolled out this season.

Although she practiced as an outside hitter Wednesday, she did not state that she will move to the left for the match against Hawaii.

Hawaii has won seven of its last eight contests and is in the midst of a two-game winning streak. Before they take on the Titans, they will play UC Riverside on the road.

Riverside’s 1-6 record in conference only ranks higher than Cal State Fullerton. The teams sit in the bottom two spots in the Big West standings.

Hawaii has won all 40 matchups against Cal State Fullerton in the volleyball program’s history. In the most recent meeting on Sept. 28 in Hawaii, the Titans lost by an average of 6.67 points per set.

The last time the Titans took a set from Hawaii was Nov. 21, 2012.

Middle blocker Sarah Liva holds the third-highest hitting percentage in the Big West (.369).
As a team, Hawaii ranks first in assists per set, and second in points per set and kills per set.

Saturday’s contest starts at 7 p.m.