CSUF men’s soccer scores big win on Senior Night

In Men's Soccer, Sports
CSUF men's soccer huddles around forward Samuel Goni after he scores a goal in the second half to put the Titans over Sacramento State, 1-0.

CSUF men’s soccer defeated Sacramento State, 1-0, on its senior night and final home Big West conference game of the season Saturday night.

After a scoreless first half, it took less than one minute for forward Samuel Goni and the Titans to break the tie in the second.

Goni, who was one of the seniors that was honored before the game, ran onto a ball in the box played by midfielder Oscar Flores to convert his fifth goal of the season.

The assist gave Flores his first point of the season.

“We were talking about the spacing (at halftime) so we knew it was there. It was a fantastic ball by Flores,” Goni said.

Goalkeeper Paul-Andre Guerin recorded his fifth shutout of the season and 14th of his three-year career with the Titans. He had six saves against the Hornets.

“I think it’s a good objective, every game, to have a shutout in mind,” Guerin said. “I don’t do it by myself. I get the reward for everyone’s great play.”

The Titans entered the night tied in fourth place in the Big West conference, and now sit in a tie with Cal State Northridge for second place with a 2-1-1 record. Sacramento State fell to fourth place in conference play at 2-2-0.

“I think we have been playing pretty well against all of the Big West opponents,” Titans’ head coach George Kuntz said. “I think the guys are very motivated.”

The Titans will finish Big West conference play with three games on the road, including games at UC Irvine on Oct. 17 and at UC Davis on Oct. 20.