Review: ‘Battlefield V’ defies controversy with stunning gameplay

In Gaming and Tech, Lifestyle, Reviews
(William Robbins / Daily Titan)

The attention to graphic detail and cinematic gameplay that “Battlefield V” has makes it a leading representative of modern-day gaming, but its apparent lack of development at launch makes it feel like it’s still at the beta phase.

The game is the newest installment from EA DICE’s Battlefieldfranchise since its first-person shooter, World War l based game “Battlefield 1” in 2016. Following the success of its predecessors and a year after the world war installation for “Call of Duty,” “Battlefield V” hoped to dominate the market of historical war shooters with its World War ll setting but fell short.

In addition to the in-game bugs that affect competitive multiplayer lobbies, there are multiple game modes at the home screen that are unavailable to players at this time. But players are still able to see the greyed-out modes that are coming soon, much like unlocked characters in a platform-based fighter series.

The developing team at EA DICE also received a lot of criticism for attention to historical authenticity in pre-release footage and teasers of the game, particularly with the introduction of female characters in customization and story mode.

This criticism prompted the #NotMyBattlefield trend on social media, but developers stood defiantly by their decision to include playable women in their game modes. DICE general manager Oskar Gabrielson took to Twitter to defend the company’s stance.

The Battlefield sandbox has always been about playing the way you want. Our commitment as a studio is to do everything we can to create games that are inclusive and diverse. We always set out to push boundaries and deliver unexpected experiences,” Gabrielson said.   

But despite all of its shortcomings at launch, EA DICE sure knows how to make one hell of a game.

Veteran Battlefield players are familiar with the game’s masterful ability to create a vast world of conflict around the player. Buildings, fortifications and safety are ripped away from every angle. Vast, dynamic battlegrounds cave and crumble to the chaos of war with every objective.

Unlike many first-person shooters, “Battlefield V” allows for an incredibly large multiplayer map, with servers that host up to 64 console players.

While blatantly dominating team members can determine the outcome of a match in other games, the open multiplayer gameplay of “Battlefield V” gives the impression that a single player’s attempts are futile and insignificant.

It takes the cumulative efforts of the entire team, often a lobby of strangers, to heave their way across the sectioned objectives on the map to a well-earned victory.

Graphics for “Battlefield V” are definitely an improvement since the last game. Lighting has been retouched to make scenarios much less static and, of course, beautiful. Reciprocating surroundings have also been improved; tall meadows of flowers that sway with player movements and water reacts with the character.

This, along with the dynamic sandbox-style environments, gives each map a feeling as if it were alive.

The game also has in-game audio that complements the stunning visual gameplay with an incredible depth of sound: the crunch of debris and cobblestone paths beneath your boots, the distant crack of artillery against airplanes and the deafening whistles of bullets and shrapnel all around the player.

Mortars and explosions that land close to players knock them on their back, briefly disorienting them as they try to get back on their feet.

While the game requires further development and patches for bug fixes, it’s not actually a major surprise. The majority of games that are release are criticized for lack of content in wake of future downloadable content, and seldom are games launched with minimal issues.

The game’s potential for greatness has foundations in its sound, visuals and unconventional first-person shooter gameplay, all while still offering great theatrical entertainment despite its hiccups. With time, “Battlefield V” may be the greatest World War ll game to be released, and the one everyone has been waiting for.

The nightlife in Dotonbori features fluorescent lights, street food vendors and local bars.

Column: Two brothers reunited in Japan

When I woke from my nap, my body was still strapped to the coffin-like dimensions of my seat. The

A photo of transfer student Julian Serrano in front of Cal State Fullerton sign.

Column: From a Mt. San Antonio Mountie to a CSUF Titan

At the age of 17 I began my first semester at Mt. San Antonio College. I recall feeling overwhelmed

A photo of visitors at the Shwedagon Pagoda.

Column: A glimpse into Myanmar culture

California may be the Golden State, but about 7,785 miles across the Pacific Ocean is the “Golden Land” of