Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball to play home opener against West Coast Baptist College

In Men's Basketball, Sports
Khalil Ahmad driving
(Jessica Ruiz / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball will play its home opener against West Coast Baptist University on Saturday.

The Titans began their season with a 102-94 double overtime loss at Arizona State on Tuesday.

Guard Kyle Allman finished with 35 points and seven rebounds. Guard Khalil Ahmad scored 31 points and grabbed five rebounds.

After the contest, head coach Dedrique Taylor expressed sentiments similar to last season by highlighting Fullerton’s inability to limit opponents’ offensive rebounds. The Sun Devils grabbed 20 offensive rebounds, which led to 19 second-chance points compared to the Titans’ seven.

Game flow was never established Tuesday due to the 62 total fouls called. Davon Clare, Austen Awosika, Jamal Smith and Amel Kuljuhovic all fouled out in the overtime periods.

Josh Pitts also racked up four fouls in his four minutes played. With Jackson Rowe sidelined and Dominik Heinzl playing limited minutes due to a hand injury, CSUF was left empty-handed as the second overtime period dwindled down.

“I thought our guys competed. I was proud of that,” Taylor told CSUF Sports Media. “We set the standard. So now, can we maintain that moving forward? We have to clean up some things execution wise.”

Saturday will be the first time Fullerton and West Coast Baptist square off in the history of both programs. Last season, the Eagles went 3-21.

West Coast Baptist is 0-5 to start the season and have lost by 187 total points. The Eagles score 74.2 points per game while sacrificing 112.2 to their opponents.

The closest the Eagles have come to victory was a 24-point loss to Corban University.

The game will tip off at 2 p.m. in Titan Gym.

Exterior shot of the CSUF emblem

Cal State Universities work to improve sustainability efforts

Sustainability is becoming more important to all Cal State Universities as each university has agreed to comply with specific

Where CSUF’s water comes from and how it’s maintained

Cal State Fullerton’s water supply comes from the city of Fullerton, which gets its water from the Metropolitan Water

Cal State Fullerton’s commuter culture negatively impacts air quality on campus

Commuter behavior poses a threat to Cal State Fullerton’s ability to meet air quality pollution standards set by the