CSUF athletics signed 17 athletes on National Letter of Intent Day

CSUF athletics logo

This story was updated on Nov. 20 at 5:37 p.m. to include the latest signing. 

CSUF athletics officially entered the signing season, introducing 17 athletes across various sports in the past few days. 

Baseball

Amid the craze of national letter of intent day, the Cal State Fullerton baseball team announced nine new players committed to the program.

The first signee announced by the Titans was left-handed pitcher and first baseman Joe Naranjo from Ruben S. Ayala High School. On the mound, Naranjo’s standout season came his sophomore year when he went 8-3 with a 0.64 earned-run average and struckout 71 batters.

A career .316 hitter, the 6-foot infielder showed discipline at the plate his junior year when he earned 24 walks while getting struck out eight times.

Cole Urman, out of Temecula Valley High School, will serve as one of Naranjo’s battery mates. Urman will be the fourth player on the team listed as a catcher for next season.

Of the other six signees, two are power-hitting outfielders.

Montebello High School’s Alex Solis ranks well above national averages as his batting average was nearly .500 during his junior year. In 90 at-bats, Solis batted in 30 runs on 43 hits while striking out seven times.

Miguel Ortiz has played two years at the varsity level for Buchanan High School in Clovis, California. In his first year with the team, Ortiz had 24 runs batted in on 31 hits. Ortiz’s batting average dipped his junior year but he still found run production at the plate with 18 RBIs.

Right-handed pitchers Gavin Kennedy, Evan Adolphus and Cameron Repetti are among the five pitchers to join the Titans. Repetti splits time between the mound and third base, but ranks in the 96 percentile among his class with a fastball that reaches 91 mph.

Left-hander Peyton Jones is the only out of state signee and was recruited from Bingham High School in Utah. Since July 2017, Jones’ fastball has gained two mph and now reaches 85 mph.

Cal State Fullerton’s final signing was J.J. Cruz, who patrols the infield and outfield for Gahr High School.

The nine incoming players will replace graduating seniors as well as any eligible juniors on the Titans roster that can be drafted in the Major League Baseball amateur-selection draft.

Men’s basketball

The Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball team is in the midst of the regular season, but looks to their future as they begin signing new players for the 2019-20 season.

It was announced Thursday by head coach Dedrique Taylor that three new faces will be a part of the roster next season.

The Titans have decided to build out their backcourt by adding guards Mojus Mojus, Doctor Bradley and Tory San Antonio, all of whom are currently seniors in high school.

San Antonio received interest from University of Hawaii before signing his letter of intent with CSUF.

The Rancho Verde Mustangs shooting guard possesses international experience, as he represented Puerto Rico at the 2018 FIBA Basketball World Cup.

He averaged 13.1 points, 5.1 rebounds and 2.3 assists during this tournament, which included a 30-point outburst versus Montenegro in the quarterfinals.

Mojus is a shooting guard for Balboa School, a private primary and secondary institution in Escondido, California.

The San Diego native has been playing at the varsity level since the eighth grade, and has seen his 0.4 points per-game average in his first year jump to 12.8 in his senior year, according to MaxPreps.com.

CSUF fulfilled its desire for more height in the line-up with the acquisition of Bradley, who stands at 6 feet, 7 inches tall, and will be the tallest guard the Titans will utilize next season.

As Kyle Allman, Khalil Ahmad and Dominik Heinzl graduate after this season, the Titans seek to fill the void left by their absence with the introduction of its new players for 2019-20.

Women’s basketball

Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball introduced two new players to the team for the 2019-20 season earlier this week.

Kathryn Neff, a member of Mission Hills High School’s basketball team, became the first Cal State Fullerton signee for the women’s side this year on Wednesday.

She is now a senior, and has averaged 12.2 points per game in 13 games played for the Grizzlies last season.

CSUF will be provided with flexibility upon Neff’s arrival as she has experience playing in both guard and forward positions.

Megan Nieto, who attends Esperanza High School in Anaheim, followed suit and joined the program the following day.

Jeff Harada and the coaching staff didn’t have to travel far to discover the 6-foot forward.

Nieto spent both her senior and junior year on the basketball team and in 28 games played during her tenure with the Aztecs, she averaged 7.5 points per game, 5.6 rebounds and 1.5 steals per game.

Prior to her arrival at Esperanza, she was a former basketball player for Brea-Olinda during her first two years in high school.

As five seniors are partaking in their last season on the team, the Titans are working toward filling the roster in preparation for next year.

Softball

Following suit with women’s basketball, three players were signed by Cal State Fullerton softball.

From Etiwanda High School, Makenzie Green has commanded the outfield for two years while committing four errors.

In 30 plate appearances, Green has 12 hits with one double and two RBIs. On the base paths, four of outfielder’s six career-stolen bases came last season.

Bringing more power to the diamond for CSUF is infielder and catcher Jessi Alcala from La Serna High School.

Alcala has seen a tremendous amount of growth, as her .221 batting average during her freshman year increased to .562 last season. The slugging percentage has also been on the upward trend throughout the years for the multiple-position player.

In her third year with the Lancers, Alcala played in a career-low five games. In those five games, she had nine RBIs, four doubles and one home run on nine hits in 16 at-bats.

Meanwhile, the addition of Alyssa Hernandez from Crescenta Valley High School and her ability to play any position as a utility player assures the Titans of her reliability on the field.

The trio of signings will fill the three spots on the CSUF softball roster that are currently occupied by seniors.

A recycling center for used batteries located in the Titan Student Union.

Cal State Fullerton collects used batteries for recycling

Cal State Fullerton has a system for the collection of batteries, which are processed and then taken to a

How to get your snow during this Californian winter break

Here in Southern California, winter weather mostly consists of gloomy clouds and the occasional rain shower, but with a

Maricsa Segundo holds her daughter, Caroline, at the beach

CSUF student comes out of postpartum depression stronger

Maricsa Secundo, a MAC makeup artist and biology major at Cal State Fullerton, was thrilled to finally find out