CSUF volleyball salvages one set against Cal Baptist on senior night

In Sports, Women's Volleyball
CSUF volleyball middle blocker Summer Kerins celebrates senior night with her family and head coach Ashley Preston when the Titans faced the Cal Baptist Lancers.
(Joshua Arief Halim / Daily Titan)

CSUF volleyball dropped its final home match of the season 3-1 to Cal Baptist University on Tuesday night, giving the Titans a 2-12 record in Titan Gym this season.

For the third straight match, CSUF (6-22 overall, 0-14 conference) won the second set of the game but could not close out any more. In the second set, the Titans recorded 12 kills and three hitting errors.

In the other three sets, they totaled 26 hitting errors.

“There were a lot of balls that were being swung out instead of finding better solutions like tipping or hitting to the setter to take them out,” middle blocker Summer Kerins said.

Kerins was one of two Titans to finish with double-digit kills for the second straight game. The middle blocker finished with 12 kills on 23 attempts.

This is the third straight game that Kerins has hit at .500 or better.

She said she was happy with her performance in her final three games at the Titan Gym.

“I’ve been playing great and connecting really well with the setter. It’s just a really nice feeling to know that I was able to do well when it was my very last game here,” Kerins said.

Kerins said the communication with her setters has helped her play better in the last few games. For most of the season, head coach Ashley Preston has frequently subbed her three setters in and out of games to fix situations.

On Tuesday, however, senior setter Nastassja Bowman played the entire match and finished with a season-high 36 assists.

“Instead of forcing myself to play like I have to get every single ball down, which stressed me out sometimes, I’m now telling myself ‘Make half of the balls you hit be kills,’ and that’s .500,” Kerins said.

For the eighth time this season, Fullerton hit under .100 as a team for the match. The 29 hitting errors committed are third-most in a game this season for the Titans.

Kerins chalked up Fullerton’s poor performance on its inability to get on the same page in the front and back row.

“Sometimes the passing isn’t there and the hitting is. Other times the hitting isn’t there but the passing is. We have to find a way to connect everything,” Kerins said.

CSUF will travel for road games against UC Santa Barbara (15-11 overall, 7-7 Big West) on Friday and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo (23-2 overall, 13-1 Big West) on Saturday. Santa Barbara outside hitter Lindsey Ruddins (538) leads the conference in kills and Cal Poly’s outside hitter Torrey Van Winden (440) has the second most.

Kerins said the team will simulate matches that are close in score during practice to prepare for the weekend.

“Lots of drills where it’s tight games, like 20-20, so we have to get through those, get that win and not let them go on runs,” Kerins said.

Both matches will start at 7 p.m.

A recycling center for used batteries located in the Titan Student Union.

Cal State Fullerton collects used batteries for recycling

Cal State Fullerton has a system for the collection of batteries, which are processed and then taken to a

How to get your snow during this Californian winter break

Here in Southern California, winter weather mostly consists of gloomy clouds and the occasional rain shower, but with a

Maricsa Segundo holds her daughter, Caroline, at the beach

CSUF student comes out of postpartum depression stronger

Maricsa Secundo, a MAC makeup artist and biology major at Cal State Fullerton, was thrilled to finally find out