CSUF women’s basketball to host Dartmouth College

CSUF center Daeja Smith is blocked by a Santa Clara University defender during the Titans' overtime loss on Nov. 19.
(Jessica Ruiz / Daily Titan)

Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball may snap its three-game losing skid in its match against Dartmouth College tomorrow, the first game ever to be played between the two schools. The Titans have previously suffered losses from San Diego State, Santa Clara and Portland.

In Fullerton’s recent game against the University of Portland, the Pilots limited the Titans to 8 points on 11.8 percent shooting from the field in the third quarter en route to an 83-74 win.

The free-throw line has been the Achilles’ heel of the team so far this season. The Titans made just 57.5 percent of their free throws, which is the lowest conversion rate in the Big West.

In the midst of its struggles, CSUF has enjoyed a pair of success stories.

Center Daeja Smith is thriving in the early stages of her final year with the team.

Smith is ranked first in rebounds (11.5) and third in field goal percentage (57.9) and points per game (17.2) in the Big West conference.

Meanwhile, first-year forward Amiee Book is averaging 14.2 points per game while shooting 52.4 percent from 3-point territory.

She has accomplished this in her role as a bench player, playing about 29.4 minutes a night.

Like CSUF, Dartmouth is also on a losing streak. After winning the first two games of the season, it has dropped two games in a row, which included a loss to UC Santa Barbara 62-56 on Sunday.

The biggest threat that the Big Green present to the Titans comes in the form of its 6-foot-3 forward Isalys Quinones.

The San Diego native is the team’s leader in points (14.5), rebounds per game (6.8) and total blocks (4).

Dartmouth is averaging 58.5 points per game compared to CSUF’s 69.3.

Tip-off is scheduled for a 7 p.m. start at Titan Gym.