CSUF women’s basketball to play at University of Washington

In Sports, Women's Basketball
Jade Vega dribbling
(Joshua Arief Halim / Daily Titan)

CSUF women’s basketball looks to start the season 2-0 in a road matchup against the University of Washington on Thursday.

The Titans defeated Seattle University 57-54 in Seattle on Tuesday with the Titans rallying back from an 8 point deficit in the fourth quarter.  

Senior Daeja Smith had a double-double, with a game high of 18 points and 12 rebounds. Senior guard Jade Vega added 15 points, 5 rebounds and led the Titans with 8 assists.

Heading into Thursday’s game, the Washington Huskies have yet to see any game action this year. The Huskies finished last season with a 7-23 overall record and a 1-17 record during conference play, which ranked them in last place. They were eliminated in the first round of the Pac-12 Conference Tournament.

Washington was picked to finish in last place in the Pac-12 again this year by the media. The team’s returning leading scorer, Amber Melgoza, averaged 19 points per game last season.

Similarly, the Titans were picked to finish last in the Big West in both the coaches and media polls.

Smith is also one of 20 players to be named on the Lisa Leslie Award preseason watch list.

Thursday’s game will start at 7 p.m. on the Pac-12 Network.